Chapter 31: Nathan

Nathan p.o.v

I was relieved when I saw Max arriving at the hospital. When he was next to me it felt like nothing could go wrong in the world, that nothing was wrong in the world.

Having that beautiful young man next to me, having that lovely boy in my arms, calmed me down. Together we could face the world and the world couldn't do shit to us.

We form a shield when holding hands. A shield that protected us against pain, against harm, and most importantly, against homophobia.

Together we were invincible.

So, when he ran into my arms and I felt the warmth of his radiating on my body all the stress and anger that had built up vanished.

I sighed in relief.

"Daddy, what's going on? What happened?" Max asked in worry.

I caressed his head. Giving him a kiss on his forehead and leading the way to the hospital room Rose was staying in.

On our way to the third floor, I explained everything to him. How we found Rose, how Rose's father acted and treated Rose, how we found out that Rose was seriously injured.

I know he wasn't in little space seeing how he moved, how he spoke, how his expression was.

Max liked to call me 'Daddy' regardless of when he felt little or not, which I thought was the absolute cutest thing ever.

When we walked into the room Derek excused himself, going for a smoke. An old habit of his that only came out in difficult situations. It was a long time ago since he last smoked. I think it was when he broke up with one of his previous subs.

Amanda, I think her name was. Or Asha? No, it was definitely Amanda. How I hated her.

She was so toxic. I could tell that from the first minute I met her. But I knew Derek was feeling lonely and how badly he wanted a girlfriend and a sub.

I knew how jealous he was of what Ellis and Anna had and of what I had with Max.

Derek needed to find out how toxic Amanda was on his own. To find out that secretly she was controlling him, manipulating him, using him. Even though it would hurt him, he needed to learn his lesson, to know his own worth.

But it seemed that the toxic behavior of her rubbed on him because I know the old Derek, the Derek before all of his questionable girlfriends and subs, would have never treated Rose like that.

And Derek had never learned his lesson to begin with because Olivia was just as toxic as fucking Amanda.

It was then I wondered how he could fall into the same trap over and over again. Or was I just lucky, that I met such a nice and kind and sweet young man that was also interested in me like I was in him?

We settled ourselves on the couch, Max comfortably sitting on my lap. That way I could keep him close to me. I needed him close to me right now. His presence made me believe Rose was going to be all right, that we all were going to be all right.

"Daddy, when are Ellis and Anna coming?"

He had ley his head on my chest while I caressed his cheek. "Tomorrow, first thing in the morning."

"Why not now?"

"Anna didn't feel well." Max nodded his head, understanding what I said.

"Hey Max," I said hesitantly.

He hummed in response. "Are you mad at me?"

Max wended his head to me, looking at me with a questionable expression. "Why would I be mad?"