Chapter 34: Phone call

Nathan p.o.v

"Okay, chicken, tomatoes, pasta, pesto, union... hmm, what am I missing?" I spoke to myself. I was busy cooking dinner when I heard the front door being slammed shut. 

I stood straight and turned around to see Max walking in from work. He looked tired. For days he was walking around like a living corpse. He had to overwork these past couple of days and hadn't much time for his little activities, which made him even more tired and stressed. 

"Well hello to you too," I greeted him. 

Max grunted and threw his bag to the ground. I quirked up a brow. 

He may be tired but that doesn't mean the rules don't apply anymore. "Uhm, love I know you are tired, but rules are rules." 

Max started to whine. 

I decided to stay calm and comfort him first before I would lecture him. I walked up to him and gave him a big bear hug. He snuggled into my chest, trying to hide himself. 

My heart melted. He was just the cutest person I had ever known. I chuckled. 

"You are just a clingy pup," Max whined again. "I know, I know, I am so mean teasing you while you are tired. But I need my baby boy to pick up his bag and put some comfortable clothes on."

"I don't wanna," my boy muttered into my chest. 

I sighed. 

I wanted to be teasing and be slightly stern with him because he disregarded the rules many times the past week and I kinda let him, but tomorrow he would be free and there were no excuses anymore. 

On the other hand, I also just wanted to smother him.

"All right, compromise, I carry you and dress you. How about that?" My boy only nodded his head. 

I chuckled again and put him on my hip. He nuzzled his face into my neck and a sigh of relief escaped from his lips. 

I headed upstairs to our bedroom and sat him down on the bed. I looked into the closet and searched for some comfortable clothes. I decided on an oversized shirt with some oversized overalls. 

Max was practically a puppet, he had no strength in his body anymore. When he was fully dressed again, out of his uncomfortable and yucky work clothes. He looked more like himself. I had missed my little boy. 

I looked into another dresser for a paci and a clip-on. When I found it I clipped the paci onto his overalls. 

Max started to whine again. "I know you are most of the time a big boy Max, but you look like you need it. Don't fight it, sweetheart."

I popped it in and Max didn't argue it. I was proud of him. 

He put his hands up wanted to be carried again. I took him in my arms again and walked downstairs to the living room. I had put on a movie for him so I could cook in peace. 

When dinner was ready, I let him eat in front of the television. 

We were peacefully eating our dinner and watching Cars when my phone went off. I stood up and made my way to the kitchen where I had left it. 

"Nathan speaking." 

"Hello, this is Dr. Garcia from Greenwood Hospital Center speaking. Am I speaking to Nathan Hall?"

My heart stopped for a second. Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic. Please, please let Rose be all right. 

"Yes, I am Nathan Hall," I said, trying to not let my voice waver.