Chapter 49: drill sergeant

Derek p.o.v

"Come on, little girl. Time to wake up," I whispered in Rose's ear. She had planted herself on my chest, making me immobile. Well, I could easily pick her up and lay her down next to me, but I didn't want to startle the girl. 

Rose stirred and remained asleep. "Come on Rose. We are going on a trip," I tried again. 

It was now I finally got a reaction out of her. She slowly opened her eyes and when the light hit her in the face she buried her face in my chest and groaned. "Not yet, Derek." 

I chuckled. "Come on my sleeping beauty. If you don't get out of bed, Nathan will." That little threat made Rose sit up right. I groaned as she did. I didn't expect the sudden movement on my stomach. "Sorry," Rose whispered. 

"It's all right, princess." I gave her a small kiss on her forehead. "Let's get ready." 

Within twenty minutes Rose and I were all ready to go, fully dressed, and packed and we had already eaten our breakfast. I was proud of ourselves, also I wanted to prevent a small meltdown of Nathan. As long as I was ready to go I could take power in overseeing everything without stepping on everybody's toes. 

When we were waiting I got a text from Ellis. 

Ellis: We are there in five

Me: OK, see you then. Be aware of Nathan though ;)

"Okay, well at least we don't have to worry about them," I mused to myself. The only people we haven't heard of were Nathan and Max. It was rather quiet upstairs, something I didn't like. 

"Rose, why don't you wait outside for Ellis and Anna. I am going to check up on the men, okay?" The girl nodded her head and skipped her way to the driveway. 

Quickly I made my way upstairs, I looked left and right down the hallway, looking if I could detect somebody but there as well it was quiet and no man in sight. Continuing on my way to their bedroom, I still couldn't hear a thing. No demands from Nathan and no arguing from Max. 

I grew suspicious. 

I knocked on their door and still no reaction. Carefully I opened the door and the first thing I saw was them making out on the bed. I sighed. 

I cleared my voice. "Gentlemen? May I remind you that we have a vacation planned, one that Nathan took almost full control over." 

Both heads snapped right at me, a read blush spreading over Max's cheeks and neck and Nathan looking guilty. They quickly untangled from each other as the younger one made its way to the bathroom. 

When Max was gone, I looked Nathan straight ahead. "Care to explain?" 

The broad man sat upright and scratched his neck, looking left to right, avoiding my stern glare. It was incredibly hypocritical for Nathan to pull a stunt like this. If he hadn't drilled us these past two weeks I wouldn't mind as much, but the reality was that I had to hear all his questions and demand for hours. 

"I am sorry Derek, we forgot the time," Nathan said sheepishly. 

"Well, you better be, and chop chop because Ellis is here in," I looked at my watch for dramatic effect, "two minutes and if she hears you are not on time you will get a spanking of a lifetime." 

The guy scrambled off the bed and headed straight into the bathroom, ordering Max around. I couldn't help but laugh. I would rub this in his face all during our little trip. 

When I came downstairs I could hear the women outside talking and laughing. The moment my foot touched the floor I was startled by the big hug Anna gave me. "Uncle Derek, uncle Derek, I missed you soooo much. I am so excited we are going on a trip together!" The hyperactive girl exclaimed right into my ear.