Chapter 20

The front door was still wide open from when Sarah left. Lana reached the doorway and was about to exit, but looked back. She was alone in Sarah's house. She thought about going to that motel and stopping Sarah from making a really stupid decision, but she had no idea where she went. She stopped and pulled out her phone, sending a text to Sarah.

"Where are you going?"
"What motel?"

Lana was beyond stressed and it wasn't even noon yet. She needed to relieve herself so she set her purse on the counter top and searched for a bathroom. She walked down the hallway and opened the first door on the right. After using the bathroom, she washed her hands and looked in the mirror quickly.

She decided she has been here long enough in her house, by herself, and that it was time to go. But something on the ground caught her eye. On the thick rug was a notebook which looked like Sarah tossed it angrily on the floor. She bent down to pick it up, looking at the front of the composition notebook. Blank. She opened it where the pages were clearly worn and where it had last been written in, about halfway into the pages.

Her eyes widened and she tilted her head slightly as she read:

"I'm fucking done. I can't take it anymore. My heart is ripped apart. I can't go on anymore.

I'm gonna fucking kill him. I'm gonna fucking kill that son of a bitch."

And it went on like that for at least another two pages. She repeated that line about fifty times, aggressively written on the pages, where the pen was stabbing the paper, leaving rips.

"I'm gonna fucking kill him. I'm gonna fucking kill him. I'm gonna kill him."

Lana dropped the notebook on the floor, running to her purse. She grabbed her phone, hoping, begging for a text back from Sarah but there was nothing. No response.

Lana thought to herself as her body heat began to rise and sweat was covering her forehead. Sarah can't mean that, right? She won't actually kill him. She was just angry and expressing her emotions. Hell, Lana said the same thing to herself during their breakup but she was just saying that. She wasn't gonna go through with it.

Lana attempted to call Sarah multiple times but she never answered. It was starting to eat her alive.

"Please don't be true. Please." Lana begged to herself. She was hoping that it was just a coincidence, that Sarah wasn't going to actually do something. She refused to believe it. But there was still that lingering thought in the back of her head.

She started to rummage through her kitchen drawers, cabinets, anything anything will give her some kind of indication. But she knew she would find nothing. She needed to try.

She ran into what appeared to be Sarah's bedroom. She opened the closet and her heart sank at the sight of Charles' clothes, that were once hanging in their home, and now they're here.

She looked in the nightstand table and found nothing. Finally was the laptop plugged into the charger laying on the bed. She opened it up, and sighed in relief because it didn't have a password. How convenient in times like this, Lana thought.

She opened the web browser which already had multiple tabs open. She clicked on the Google window already open, and took a huge breath.

It showed the directions and information on Keepers Motel, not too far from here.

She typed the address in her phone's GPS and finally ran out of that house and into her car. She was on the way, and was begging God for it all to just be her overreacting.