20. Autumn Air

Max.

"Hey Mum, can I please go to the bakery?" I asked, looking up from my light blue Nintendo DS. Uncle Zayn and Auntie Perrie gave me this DS for my birthday. Mum looked up at the shiny, clean, microwave to check the time. Mum looked back at me. "I suppose. But be back before 6pm for dinner," She told me, smiling. "Thanks Mum! I will!" I cheered, pushing the lid of the DS closed, and putting it down on the sofa.

"Put on your warm, blue, coat," Mum added as she cut some celery into small pieces, "Its getting colder and colder outside every day. Before you know it, it will be Halloween!" She exclaimed, sweeping the celery into a large pot on the stove. I nodded, jumping up to lift my coat off the hook. I don't really like wearing this coat, because its puffy and makes me look like a giant marshmallow.

"Do you have money for a treat?" Mum asked, as I slowly buttoned up my coat. I reached into my coat pocket and put my hand inside. I felt a small coins. "Yeah, I do." I replied, pulling on some boots. "Okay. I love you, Bud. Have fun," Said Mum, putting down her knife.

She walked over to me and kissed the top of my head. "Love you too." I replied, bending over to grab my T-Rex coloured mittens from the floor. "Remember to look both ways when you cross the road to the bakery." Mum added in her warning-mom-voice, as she walked back to the kitchen. "I know, Mum, I'll be super-duper careful." I rolled my eyes, pulling the front door open.

I stepped out into the hallway, and pulled the door closed behind me. Once I was walking down to the elevator, I slid my mittens over my hands. It keeps getting cold outside, because it is getting closer, and closer, to winter! Winter means Christmas, and Christmas means presents!

When I reached the silver elevator door, I pressed the DOWN button. Apparently the elevator was already on our floor, because right after I pressed the button, the door opened. I stepped inside the elevator, and pressed the big lobby button. The doors closed, and the elevator began to move.

I love going to the bakery. It is just across the road from our apartment building. It sells cupcakes, and dough-nuts, and hot cocoa, and coffee, and bagels and cookies and little cakes... There are lots of options to choose from. Sometimes I go to the bakery to think. It's probably my favourite place.

Sometimes I sit by the window in the bakery, and watch families walk past. Most families have a Mum, Dad, and some kids. They laugh. They play. The Dads give the kids piggy-back rides. But not my family. I do not have a Father to give me a piggy-back ride. A little while back, I tried asking Mum if I could have a Dad, and she got really upset with me. I felt really horrible. I don't mention it anymore.

The elevator dinged when it reached the lobby. I stepped out, and walked to the outside doors. I pushed the doors outwards, stepping into the busy sidewalks. Many people were rushing past, probably trying to get home to their families for dinner. The air was very chilly. The wind messed up my hair and the cold air nipped at my ears and my nose. I think I need a hot cocoa from the bakery today.

I looked both ways, being careful to cross the road when no cars were coming. I reached the small bakery, and pulled the door open. Once I was inside, I was warm again. I shivered, and let out a cold puff of breath. I took one deep breath, smelling all the delicious pastries, cakes, cupcakes, doughnuts and bagels. There is always too many options in this bakery. Its always so hard to choose just one or two treats.

I got into the line behind a man. The man was quite tall. He wore black skinny-jeans and a plaid, red, button down shirt that had a grey hood on the back. That looks like a good autumn shirt. I also love the shade of red of the shirt. The man was on his phone, thumbs moving over the screen repetitively. I slowly moved up the line. "Hi, I'll take a coffee please. Half and half," The man told the bakery-lady.

He handed her some cash, then moved out of the way to wait for the coffee. "What can I get for you, young man?" Asked the same bakery lady. "Ummmm," I dragged out, standing up on my tip-toes to see all the doughnuts in the glass display. "Can I get a small hot chocolate and a long-john doughnut?"

"Of course," The woman replied, putting the prices into the cash register. "That will be £2.00 please," Said the woman, tucking her blonde hair behind her ear.

I put my hand into my pocket, and pulled out some money. I put it up on the counter, and pushed it towards her. She began counting the money, mumbling numbers. "Sorry bud, you don't have enough money for the doughnut and the drink." She apologized, giving me a sympathetic expression.

"But... But," I furrowed my eyebrows. I was sure I had enough money. I saved up all by myself. That is my tooth fairy money, plus some change I found on the road last week. It has to be enough. "I'm sorry, but these things don't come free, young man. You have enough money for just one treat. Which will it be?" Asked the bakery-woman, hovering her hands over the cash-register.

"I'll pay for his hot chocolate and his doughnut." Said a deep voice. An arm reached over, and put a few coins on the counter. I looked up at the man who decided to pay for me. Now that I could see his face, he looked awfully familiar. He had lightish brown hair and Madison's colour of eyes.

He smiled down at me, then looked back at the bakery-woman. "Why are you paying for this young man?" Asked the bakery woman. "You don't even know him."

"Come on, now. A young, growing, boy like this one needs both hot cocoa and a doughnut You can't have just one. It just wouldn't be right." Liam explained to the employee. She rolled her eyes, and dropped the coins into the cash register.

"Can I ask you name, so I can thank you for paying for me?" I asked the man, using the best manners that Mum taught me. "Liam," He replied casually, sliding his brown leather wallet into his back pocket. "Can I ask you name, so I can know who I bought a hot chocolate and doughnut for?" He asked, turning to accept the coffee-cup an employee was handing him.

"My name Max Peazer." I replied, sliding off to the side so they next person in line could order. Liam's eyebrows raised, then slowly lowered. He took a sip of his coffee, squinting his eyes at me. "Does your Mother happen to be... Danielle Peazer? The dancer?" Asked Liam.

"Yeah, that is her alright," I replied, grinning and nodding my head. Liam nodded slowly, letting out a deep breath. "She really is an awesome Mum. She dances and she bakes cookies and she watches TV with me and she reads me stories," I explained, "How do you know her?"

"Max I need to tell you something," Said Liam, gulping nervously. He put his coffee down on the top of the glass display. Then Liam bent down next to me with a serious expression. "What?" I asked, voice quiet. Liam was right up in my face, making me nervous. I guess we're both nervous.

"I'm your Dad."

Danielle.

I looked at Megan, getting more and more concerned the longer I stared at her. She lay on the couch, a barf-bucket beside her and a wet wash-cloth over her forehead. She looks absolutely awful. She vomited twice in the past 10 minutes. Then she just began to burn up with a fever.

I don't know for certain, but I think she also has a headache. Megan did not told me that, of course, but Meg has had her hand pressed to the side of her head for the past 5 minutes, while she squeezed her eyes shut. I feel horrible for her, because she can't even tell me what is hurting her.

I crouched down beside Megan, and moved the damp wash-cloth off her eyes. She squinted her eyes, and began making pained sounds. "Meg, I need you to drink some water," I told her, though I know she can't hear me. I held the pink-hippo sippy-cup of water out to her.

She slowly nodded, understanding. I lifted the cup to her lips, and tipped it upwards. She took one sip, before turning away from the cup. "Baby please," I asked, not wanting her to be dehydrated. She shook her head no, and rolled over. Using her non-deformed hand, she re-adjusted the damp cloth over her eyes. I put the cup down on the coffee-table, and stood up. I'm worried for Megan. This sickness is so sudden.

It especially worries me because Megan is very pre-mature, and that can cause some very serious medical conditions. Please God, let my baby girl be okay.