Chapter 5: Two jobs

[Eleanor]

The next morning I went to search for a job after Liam and Daisy left for school. But as I said, It was too hard to find a suitable job. After I called a few places and they either rejected me or I found them not suitable, I was walking in the streets and shopping centers, searching.

It was noon when I got a text from Ethan. 

Where are you?

I thought for a second. I had dry-washed Ethan's sweater that morning in a laundry shop. It had become a bit dirty last night after my fall and it would be so ungratefully to return it like that. I should have returned it and I also should have told the school about my quitting, so I checked the time and texted him knowing that both he and Mia had a free period after lunch.

Can you and Mia meet me in front of the principal's office after lunch?

Don't ask why. I will explain everything when I see you.

I will text you once I'm there.

I send the text and quickly got on the bus that just stopped in front of the bus station I was in. A minute later, I got another message from Ethan.

You made me worried. You better have a good explanation.

I sighed and leaned my head at the window watching outside. I was too tired. Only God knew how much I wished to have loving parents and normal life like other teenagers at school. But here I was, carrying the heavy weight of the world on my shoulders without any hope.

I got out of the bus at the bus stop next to the school and walked toward the brick building of the school. Once in front of the building I stopped and looked at it with a heavy heart. Relieved of the fact that most students were in classes, I walked into the building and quickly headed toward the principal's office.

Once I explained to the principal and her secretary about my abrupt quit and listened to a lecture that the principal gave me about the importance of education, I was finally free. I texted Ethan, telling him that I was there.

In less than two minutes I saw my two friends walking toward me, both supporting worried faces.

"Hi, guys." I smiled weakly and waved for them.

"Goodness, girl." said Mia while pulling me into a tight hug. "You made us worried with that text you send for Ethan."

"I'm sorry." I cringed a bit. "I will explain everything,"

"Come." said Ethan and beckoned us to follow him. "I know a classroom that is empty this time."

Once inside the promised classroom, Ethan closed the door behind us and we all sat down. 

"Okay, spill." said Ethan.

I dropped my head and took a deep breath before telling them everything. About my family's financial problems and what happened last night.

"That fucking bastard." said Ethan and jumped to his feet and began to pace around, clenching and unclenching his fists. I never had seen him angry or cursing. The sight was too new for me and Mia. "He should pay for what he has done."

I turned to Mia as I felt her grabbing my hand. She was looking at me worriedly. "Ella, why didn't you tell us about what was happening in your life?" she asked softly.

"What could have you done?" I smiled weakly at her. "Besides, I didn't want you to think any less of me."

"Any less of you?" asked Ethan, looking at me incredulously. "Do you really think that low of us? If anything, we would admire you even more. You are such a great and strong girl. At least you had to give us a chance to help you."