Chapter 32: Wicked plans

[Chris]

"Is this really necessary?" whispered Eleanor from her seat beside me. 

I glanced at her and smiled as I saw her fidgeting on her seat and looking around the posh boutique with nervous eyes. I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, making her look at me and visibly relax.

"Relax, Ella." I said. "I'm sorry to make you uncomfortable. I already feel terrible to force you to come with me to such a dreadful gala that I hate to go myself. I don't want those snobbish people to make you feel bad. That is why we are here so you can buy an elegant dress."

"You didn't force me." responded Eleanor softly and smiled at me. "I accepted to come with you myself. I'm your girlfriend after all."

I beamed at her proudly and kissed her cheek before she went back to looking at the racks of dresses around us. I looked down and smiled as I faced Daisy's golden curls who had made herself comfortable on my lap, playing candy crush on my phone.

It was Saturday, a week after the match. My family was invited to a gala the next night. It was actually a charity gala where rich people were mostly coming to show off their wealth. It was a dreadful event that I had to go to for my family's sake every year.

Thankfully this year I could take Eleanor with me. When I told her about the gala, she was hesitant at first, but after hearing my babbling, she accepted to come. 

And so that was why we were in one of the best shops in the city, waiting for my mom's friend to show up and help Eleanor to find a dress. It was so hard to convince Eleanor to let me buy her a dress, but she agreed at last. We had come after work and because Liam was not home, we had taken Daisy with us.

"Hello, kids."

I looked up at hearing the deep voice of a woman. Jannet, my mom's friend, and owner of the boutique walked to us with an elegant posture. She was wearing a knee-length, form-fitting black dress and black pumps. Her hair was up in a neat updo and her face had professional makeup. Her shoulders were square and her hands were clasped in front of her belly. She didn't look a bit over her thirties, yet she was 48 years old.

Eleanor and I stood up and greeted her politely.

"So you are the one that Rose was talking about." said Jannet as she eyed Eleanor up and down and nodded satisfied before looking into Eleanor's eyes with a smile. "Now, don't be nervous, sweetie. You have a beautiful figure. Come, let's see what I can find for you. Chris, dear, you can wait here. I will call you when necessary."

She then put a gentle hand on Eleanor's shoulder before guiding her away. 

"Em, Jannet?" I called. Jannet turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "Please choose something decent. I don't like a dress that shows too much skin."

Jannet smirked teasingly at me and looked down at Eleanor who looked like a tomato. "Oh, dear." she said. "You've got yourself a protective boyfriend, Eleanor. I'm impressed."

She then chuckled and mumbled something under her breath in the line of boys and their protectiveness, before looking into my eyes again. "Don't worry." she said and winked. "I will make sure she looks decent yet sexy to appeal to your needs and also your protective self."

This time even I felt my ears turn pink at hearing the comment. I sat back down once Jannet and Eleanor were out of sight and let out a shaky breath. Daisy wiggled out of my arms and sat on Eleanor's previous seat and we waited for half an hour. 

I was slowly becoming anxious. Was I not supposed to go and have a look at what Eleanor was wearing? Why was it taking that much time for them to find a dress she can try on? I was about to go after Eleanor when I saw her and Jannet walking toward us again.