Chapter 21: Conflicting thoughts

[Chris]

"We are here." I announced as I parked my car in the school's parking lot and looked at my side at Chase. 

Although I didn't want anything more than go out and run to Eleanor and spend time with her before class, I sat in my seat and looked at my best friend who looked like shit. I wasn't going to leave him alone this time. He was my brother and right then he needed me.

He was leaning his head on the headrest and had his eyes closed. There were dark bags under his eyes, his face was a bit pale and his hair was a mess. In total, he looked to be sick but in fact, he had a hangover plus a thought that was bothering him, obviously something about Mia.

"I still have a headache." he groaned and rubbed his face. "I feel like shit."

"Next time when you wanted to drown yourself in alcohol think about the next morning." I sighed and stared at Chase for a moment before continuing. "What is wrong, Chase? Your hangover can't be that bad. What is truly bothering you?"

I watched as he opened his eyes and stared at the roof of the car. An uncertain look covered his eyes and his brows were furrowed. 

"Mia." he finally said and looked at me and I was shocked to see worry and anxiety in his eyes. "You were right. I had made some impression on her on the night that we went to the fair. What if I have ruined everything with last night?"

"Come on!" I said and rolled my eyes. "Didn't you hear how worried she was for you?"

"You said she was afraid to meet me in a drunken state." he said and looked away, out of the window. "What if she sees me as an asshole who is always drunk? What if she is now more afraid of me?"

"Even at the fair night, she knew you are an asshole who is drunk most of the time." I answered. "Man up, Chase. She said that she wants to talk to you. Just listen to what she has to say."

"Let's smoke." he said and opened his door to get out. "I need a fucking packet, to be honest."

I did the same and together we walked to the back of the school where the junks like us would go there to smoke and avoid the teachers and school staff. We had almost finished our first cigarette when we heard someone calling us.

"Chris! Chase!" 

We turned our heads to our left and saw Hector and Vincent coming to us, dragging a small whimpering boy from his collar. Their eyes were glinting wickedly and instantly I knew what were they about.

"Fuck!" I dropped my head and cursed and shut my eyes tightly. 

Not long ago, I would enjoy bullying and tormenting kids in our school just like Hector and Vincent. I would have the same glint in my eyes if even not worth it. Even the thought of what kind of the devil I was, was making me want to vomit. 

I heard Chase let out a string of profanities under his breath. I knew he was not in the mode too.

"Guys, look what we have here." snickered Vincent as Hector threw the poor boy who looked to be a freshman on the ground.

The boy let out a muffled cry of pain as his petit body hit the concrete floor and curled himself into a ball. 

"You pathetic bitch!" sneered Hector and hit the boy with the tip of his boot a bit hard, making the boy whimper in pain again, and Vincent snort.

My heart clenched at the sight of the little boy and my mind suddenly filled with one memory of Eleanor. The image of her scared eyes after one of my mean pranks on her filled my mind. I had said the exact same words to her