🌹 Lapis Lazuli Eyes [II]

Author's Note: Since this story was from loose papers with no date, I'm guessing it's likely from anywhere between 2007-2009. This story had to endure heavy editing and changes because of major historical inaccuracies and liberties I took writing this initially. Makes me question my own anger at the TV series, Tut, for its inaccuracies LOL Obviously, my character, Nafalla, is entirely fictional and I personally created the names of Tut's servants, Khaliteesia, Bellana, Ankhalasitana, Neferlia, Serankia, and Rachankha. Note that I used "Tutankhaten" instead of "Tutankhamun" in this story since in the historical time-frame, his father had changed his name due to their worshiping a different sun god. I feel like this story was probably inspired by my childhood obsession with all things Ancient Egypt and that TV series, Tutenstein, that I watched as a kid LOL I hope y'all enjoy it <3

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

His dark brown gaze was the first thing Nafalla noticed that fateful day that King Tutankhaten gave a speech to the people of Egypt, just before he disappeared back behind the golden-gilded palace walls with his many advisors following closely behind. For an infinitesimal second, his eyes seemed to lock on hers in the throng of peasants. It was enough to make her suck in a sharp breath, to have the eyes of the Pharoah on her alone. Nothing would be the same for Nafalla.

It was a dangerous game, the forbidden romance that blossomed between Tutankhaten and his lover, Nafalla. Yet, no matter the consequences that inevitably would come, neither could stay away from the other. Should it have stayed a brief affair? Yes. But instead, the lovers were reckless, impatient and intoxicated by a love that was too great to ignore.

As soon as Tut was away from prying eyes, he and Nafalla eloped to Athens. They were wed in the Acropolis by a very well-paid priest in a highly-secretive ceremony. It was a wonder that word did not get back to his father, Pharoah Akhenaten. But somehow, Renenet and Shai seemed to be on their side as they sailed back to Karnak.

His breath was warm in her ear as he pressed her body closer to his, arms wrapped around her stomach, "Remember, habibi. No one can know what we have done. This is our lives, our secret,"

As the boat neared the harbor, Nafalla turned in her new husband's embrace. Tut slid his fingers under her chin and tilted her head up to face him. His dark brown eyes shone in the fading rays of the sun, so different from her own lapis lazuli gaze.

"What about your parents? Your kingdom? I love you. But I'm not worth this-this descent, this risk. I-" she began to protest, tears threatening to fill her eyes.

He silenced her with a gentle kiss, holding her tighter in his gentle embrace, "You are worth everything and so much more. It will be alright. But for now, I want you to hide. I'll find you soon. I promise."

When the houses of Upper Egypt began to appear on the horizon and the boat finally docked, the lovers broke apart and Nafalla, disappearing beneath the hood of her cloak, slipped away down a side street.

Maia seemed to appear out of nowhere with an array of guards behind her, an expression of concern, anger, and relief blended on her brown features when she stepped onto the boat. Tears rolled down her cheeks, soaking his tunic as she wrapped Tut in a tight, motherly embrace. It had only been a month that he had been away but for his wet nurse, Maia, it still seemed like a lifetime. It was true - he was well past the time to still have her around. But she had stayed on at the palace as a servant to him and for that, he would forever be grateful.

Aside from Nefertiti, she was the only mother he had every truly known. When they broke apart, her hardened eyes began to soften.

"Are you alright?" she asked him, although she already knew the answer.