🌹 The Ghostly Diamond

Author's Note: This piece was created by two merged drafts - one dated "September 20, 2012" and the other dated "July 11, 2013". One actually was inspired by a dream I had that I no longer remember LOL and the other from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I've always been fascinated by the idea of stepping into another world through a mirror. Oh, also, the names "Edmund", "Lawrence", and "Xander" were inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia, Little Women, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer respectively. I hope y'all enjoy <3

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Amelia Vaughn had never been one for vanity. When all the other girls in her social class were tying ribbons in their hair or wearing the latest fashions in from Paris, Amelia would much rather stay in the house reading Jane Austen in her old worn frock. That was just the kind of girl she was, she didn't need all the frills and laces. This mentality put her at odds, however, with the wealthy family she was born into. Her mother tried hard to "reform" her into the type of girl she "ought to be" but it was never to Amelia's taste and she recoiled from the grandeur of it all. This always seemed to make them clash.

It was the result of another clash such as this one that led her family to be out dining with the other socialites one rainy evening while Amelia was forced to stay home. It was a punishment to be taken with no reading, no writing, no sense of fun to be had whatsoever. At least, not what she considered fun.

Amelia was the youngest in a family of five with three older brothers - Lawrence, Merritt and Edmund - who teased her endlessly and this day was no exception to the rule. Well, except for Lawrence. He was the gentle one of the group, a true protective older brother. But Merritt and Edmund were "holy terrors" as her mother would say and didn't spare Amelia any grief over being stuck at home tonight.

"The poor little baby has to stay home in her crib." Merritt smirked down at her, clearly feeling superior.

His flaming ginger hair fell in his eyes and their mother quickly pushed it back before adjusting the collar of his tuxedo once more. He attempted to swat her hands away to no avail while Edmund only laughed at their brother's misfortune, strands of his own sandy blond hair already neatly slicked back behind his ears.

Amelia crossed her arms over her chest in agitation just as Lawrence squatted down to her level so that they were eye-to-eye. His eyes were olive green, warm and comforting as he held her gaze. His hair was the same sandy blond as Edmund's - as her own, too, in fact. Lawrence was the one she idolized and admired more than any of the rest. Likewise, she was his own favorite as well.

"Now, Melia-bug, I want you to be on your best behavior while we're gone, alright? If you are, then maybe mum will let you come with us next time. Look, I want you to hold onto this for me until I get back. Do we have a deal?" he asked, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips as he pressed a diamond into her hand.

In truth, it was not a real diamond but all the same, it was a treasure that Lawrence himself had discovered during a trek to the wood line just outside. Ever since, he had kept it near him.

Amelia pretended to think for a moment before nodding and Lawrence grinned, sweeping her up into a tight hug, "That's my girl."

Moments later, her family had exited their large house and Amelia was left with Nanny Cavendish. Subsequently, she found herself increasingly bored.

Perhaps it was the sole reason in which she decided to explore this drafty, ancient house in which they lived. In truth, they had moved into it only eight months prior and due to the vastness of the edifice, she had never thoroughly explored each nook and cranny. The heavy footfalls on the wooden stairs made them creak and puffs of dust rose into the air with every step she made as she began this adventure.