Chapter 19

Sword at his side, Tesayne took a hesitant step back, "Who are you and state your business here." he said, none too friendly.
"We are just passing through, sir. No need for alarm. We mean no harm. No one usually makes camp in these parts. We've been traveling to and from this forest for many years." explained the bald headed creature with fangs jutting from his lower front teeth. Both creatures had smirks on their ugly faces that made me very uncomfortable and not trusting their explanation of their presence here.
"I'm certain you and your beautiful companion wouldn't mind our passing through. said the creature, I assume to be the leader of the two, as his companion had yet to utter a word, but looked to be at the ready for any trouble with me or Tesayne.

I did not like this situation any more than Tesayne did.
"Never mind the flattery. Just be on your way then." Tesayne said.
"Just let them pass." I said. I just wanted these threatening looking creatures to be on their way already.
I turned to look at the two men/creatures and said, "You may go on your way. We don't want any trouble. We'll be on our way in the morning, and you'll not see us again."
With that, I turned toward camp to turn in for the evening, when all of the sudden I found myself lying in a heap upon the cold ground.

I glanced around to adjust my blurred vision from being knocked unconscious and saw the two creatures in sword combat with Tesayne. I desperately needed to get my bearings so I could assist him, but he seemed to be handling the creature's swing of swords expertly. Even so, he needed my help.
My skull throbbing, I began to rise and reached around my back to retrieve my dagger from my belt and jumped to my feet with restored energy and focus.
I swung around with my vampire speed and joined the fight, first attacking the shorter creature from behind before he knew what hit him.
He went down with a thud clutching his lower back where I stabbed him as hard as I could. No movement. He was down for good. I took in short deep breaths, realizing I just killed a man. Well, for lack of a better term. I turned to see Tesayne was about to finish off his opponent as well. With one fell swoop, Tesayne lobbed off his opponent's head and the creature crumbled in a pile onto the dirt.
Realizing I was standing there, Tesayne asked if I was alright. He looked over at the creature I'd taken down, nodded his approval and said, "Good job gorgeous!"
I rolled my eyes and nodded, still stunned that I'd just killed something for the first time.