Chapter 16

Walking into the party, I watch as everyone's gaze turns towards us, their eyes checking us out

Walking into the party, I watch as everyone's gaze turns towards us, their eyes checking us out. I tense, resisting the urge to narrow my eyes. It was an attention I used to like years ago but now just makes my skin crawl. Still, I need to put up a show. I press my body closer to Devon and feel his hands tighten around my waist. Beaming up at him with a smile, I let him lead the way, doing my best to appear as the lovestruck couple we wanted the world to see. He had quickly adjusted to our fake relationship, doing his part as a doting husband.

We weave through the crowd, giving slight greetings to those who acknowledged us. I don't recognize anyone here and from the looks on Devon's face, he doesn't as well. Our eyes on the podium, we soon catch sight of two women seating together and discussing, their laughter ringing out as they lean close to each other.  Devon pauses and so do I. His grip on my waist becomes tighter and my breath hitches.

As if sensing our gaze, they turn toward us and stop mid-conversation. I instantly recognize them as their eyes widen in shock and surprise. It was no other than Devon's mother and ex. Annette Anderson and Evelyn Parker. I'm taken aback at how young his mother looks. She might be turning fifty-five but she doesn't look a day over thirty. The man beside them is the first to make a move however. He stands up and walks towards us, a huge grin on his face. His stepfather, Joan Anderson.

"Devon!" He says as he pulls Devon into a hug. "It's so great to see you! I'm so glad you're here."

"I'm glad to see you too." He replies, warmth coating his voice. Hearty laughter breaks out from stepfather's lips and Devon smiles, still holding his hands as they pull away from the hug.

"You're all different now, eh? It's beautiful to see how. Heard about your progress these past few years and I couldn't be more proud of you."

"Thanks for always looking out for me."

He must have a wonderful relationship with his stepfather, I thought as I watched them interact. The man pats his shoulder before stepping away.

"D-Devon?" A quieter voice stutters behind the man and the smile on Devon's face drops to reveal a deep scowl. I turn in the direction of the voice and realize it's his mother. She's staring at him with so much shock, almost like she doesn't recognize him. Evelyn is not far behind her, her expression the same except this time, it's directed towards me. They are both elegantly dressed, hair and makeup done to perfection. I smile as a feeling of pride washes over me. It's good to know I'm not underdressed.

The air quickly changes and tension sizzles between mother and son. She tries to reach for him but he steps away, his gaze darkening with hostility. She stiffens at his reaction but quickly hides it away.

"Hello, Mother." He mutters, his voice painfully cold and filled with so much loathing, it surprises me. She quickly recoils, her face paling. Regret flashes in her eyes but she blinks and it disappears, she tries to smile instead.