2

It was nearly a year later when Yoojin was enjoying a Saturday afternoon with her brother and her older cousin, Jeon Seokdae. He often looked after the two twins when their parents were busy and so they were quite close. The strong boy was tall with a sharp jawline on his wide face and black hair that dangled to his chin. After doing some studying, they played video games. The girl was sandwiched between the boys on the couch as they moved about like a puppet to their controllers.

However, what Yoojin was so giddy about was that she was having her first sleepover at Wooyoung's house later that night. Of course, her parents wouldn't let her go so she lied that she wanted to stay at Seokdae's house since she hadn't been there for a while.

"You sure you're alright to stay at this boy's house?" Seokdae asked Yoojin while they annihilated their enemies on the TV screen.

"Yeah," she replied. "Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself."

Youngbin scoffed. "He was my friend first."

Yoojin giggled. When the three of them were together, the twins often bickered with Seokdae being the peacekeeper. Youngbin looked up to him a lot and relied on him.

As the game came to an end, Yoojin packed her bags for the sleepover. The two boys fake wrestled, and it ended up with Seokdae having a chokehold on Youngbin on the sofa.

"I'll get you next time," Youngbin promised as he struggled under Seokdae's muscular arm.

"That's what you always say," the older boy laughed, releasing Youngbin as he ruffled his hair. "But I'll keep teaching you to be as strong as me."

"At least I beat you at basketball the other day."

"I let you win."

"Yeah, right."

With a promise for a rematch another day, Yoojin was ready to go and Seokdae said that he would walk her to Wooyoung's house. They waved goodbye to Youngbin and headed off. It was dark outside already but luckily, Wooyoung's house wasn't too far, and the two cousins were together.

"Thank you for making us pasta for lunch," Yoojin said as they walked up a hill.

"No problem. I know it's your favourite," Seokdae replied.

Yoojin heaved her heavy backpack up her shoulders. The streetlamp flickered above. Suddenly, Seokdae's phone rang. He glanced at the contact and quickly picked up. Their strides were slow as they walked and Yoojin checked out the old houses in the narrow street. Her cousin froze and she immediately turned to look at him. Seokdae's face had darkened with worry as he desperately spoke into the phone.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," he said before hanging up.

"Is everything okay?" Yoojin asked him.

"Of course. I'll quickly drop you off and then I have to go somewhere," he tried to put on a reassuring smile, but his younger cousin was smart.

She knew that there was something going on and she feared that he had met the wrong people. Even though he tried to hide it, she had heard about the gang who blackmailed people for money but she didn't know what to do. She didn't know who they were and she didn't know how involved he was. 

"Just go now. I'll be fine. Wooyoung's house is practically a block away," Yoojin told him with a brave look.

"Are you sure?"

Yoojin nodded. "Just go already. I'll text you when I get there."

Seokdae was still hesitant, but he thanked her and ran back the way they came. Now all alone, Yoojin felt fear creeping up her spine. She wasn't scared of the dark, but this certain road was intimidating as there were hardly any working streetlights. Gripping her backpack straps, she marched forward with her head held high.