13

And so, the days went by like the click of a finger. Yoojin enjoyed the summer holidays in the sun, in the sauna and karaoke with her friends, and at the hospital with Sooho. On Sunday, the last day before school started, Yoojin was lounging under her favourite tree by the Han river. It was her special place with Wooyoung, but she hadn't seen him around here in a while, so the coast was clear. Yes, she was still avoiding Wooyoung even though she told him that they were still friends.

The light breeze played with her long hair as she soaked in the disappearing warmth. Beside her, all the soft blades of grass under her fingers caressed her nerves as she sat with her legs in front of her. The fresh smell of water drifted through, making her feel like she was at the beach. Yoojin was dressed in a cute pink top and denim shorts. Her bag contained the rubbish from her snacks and her usual art supplies.

All around her, people chatted noisily. The Han park was always filled with life – cyclists, children, runners and more. Yoojin smiled as she watched the sun say it's farewell. The sky melted to an egg yolk orange. Taking out her sketchbook, she recorded this gorgeous sight. Of course, she already had many drawings at Han river, but she was improving every day, and it never failed to make her heart dance.

As the sun nearly descended completely, Yoojin looked around her. Her eyes suddenly stopped on a frozen figure a few metres away from her. It was Wooyoung, his gaze piercing into her soul.

Wooyoung was deeply deprived of Yoojin. To keep his mind occupied during the break, the boy would train in the boxing gym – he was practically sleeping there, or his usual runs and hikes through parks and mountains would increase. He hadn't touched this spot in ages since it would remind him of what he didn't have anymore, but today, he needed the trip down memory lane.

Even though it had been weeks since she last saw him, it felt like months. His tousled brown hair and beautiful, dark eyes were as hypnotising as ever. With his exercising, he looked more fit – his toned muscles standing out due to his t-shirt and shorts. Yoojin gulped.

"Hi," Wooyoung breathed out – from the run or from her, she wasn't sure.

The flurry of leaves from the large tree overhead swished about. The handsome boy moved closer and eventually sat down next to her.

"Hi," Yoojin replied softly.

"How was your break?" Wooyoung asked.

"Good."

"That's good."

The breeze sent a shiver down Yoojin's spine. Only the very top of the sun could be seen glimmering on the horizon as the last light. The sinking shade of orange was drowned by the shadowing musky blue that hovered above.

"I stopped my broadcasts and taking requests to beat people up," Wooyoung finally told her.

"Really? That's amazing. I'm so proud of you," Yoojin smiled at him.

Another pause. Wooyoung cleared his throat, the sentence itching to escape his mind.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" he asked. "I thought we were still friends."

"Me? Weren't you avoiding me too?" the long-haired girl thought.

"True. I-I was scared that I'd make you hate me more but I'm not backing away anymore. I'm not going to give up. I still want you."

Yoojin's heart thumped loudly as she twiddled the ends of her hair between her fingers. Wooyoung chuckled, gently holding her hand and bringing it down to rest between their legs.

"Habits never die, huh?" he said.

She didn't know how to respond, yet her heart responded more. His familiar touch sent sparks through her body.