14

On a Wednesday afternoon during lunch, Yoojin was at the cafeteria with Huiyeon and Wooyoung. She dug into her rice joyously.

"So, you wouldn't ever hate me, would you?" Huiyeon asked as she played with her vegetables. "I mean, I am too loveable."

Yoojin ignored that comment. "What's this about? Is this about you holding hands with Youngbin in the corridors?"

"Shit, I told him someone would see."

"Are you dating him?" Yoojin gently questioned the girl opposite her.

Huiyeon stalled, biting her lip.

"Yes," she finally blurted out. "I'm sorry, I just really like him. He's hot but he's also so smart and caring and cool."

"Then as long as you're happy, I'm happy. Just promise me that if you break up, you won't abandon me," Yoojin requested.

She wasn't going to put Youngbin off limits; she was tired of him always scaring off and fighting guys who looked at her. Yoojin wasn't going to be that person. So, Huiyeon smiled, relieved.

"Thank you! And of course, I won't abandon you like that jerk," Huiyeon pointed her head at Wooyoung, who was sitting next to Yoojin.

"Get lost," the boy quipped, leaving out the profanities since he was next to Yoojin.

The wavy-haired girl replied with her middle finger. Then she turned to Yoojin with a suspicious grin, her small meal now done.

"Yoojin, what do you think about going on a blind date?" Huiyeon asked.

Wooyoung intensely glared at his pork katsu, stabbing it like he was murdering it.

"A blind date?" the other girl echoed.

Huiyeon nodded. "A guy I know from another school asked me to go with his friend this Saturday but I'm not free, so I told him that you'd go."

"So, you already set me up on this date?"

Thinking for a second, Huiyeon nodded. Yoojin chewed her lip, peeking at Wooyoung. She didn't want to go on a date if it wasn't Wooyoung.

"Come on, just give it try," Huiyeon begged. "You should try everything at least once in your life. Seeing you mope around is so sad. You deserve to have fun and experience new flavours."

She side-eyed the boy. Truthfully, she rooted for Wooyoung and was praying that this would give them the kick that they needed. And then hopefully, she could finally go on double dates with them.

Wooyoung didn't say anything; he just chewed his meat repeatedly. As always, he was reserved around other people.

"Wait, so you already told him I'd be there?" Yoojin frowned.

Huiyeon nodded.

"Then, I guess I have to go," Yoojin replied.

Wooyoung glared at the girl. She was too nice to refuse anything. His pork suddenly tasted bland, and he mentally scheduled out this Saturday.

So, Yoojin found herself that weekend waiting outside the cinema. She kept checking her phone, waiting for his update since Huiyeon gave her his number. On the hot summer afternoon, she was wearing an orange, sleeveless dress. Yoojin rocked back and forth on her heels as she waited. The smell of popcorn wafted through the air as couples and various clusters walked through the large space.

Then, a good-looking guy approached her. He had shaggy brown hair, a pointed nose and was decked out in the latest clothes. His thin fingers waved at her when he arrived.