Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I hated the way I was feeling, which was guilt. I shouldn't be feeling guilty. Thrin let me go. There was nothing there for me apart from Max. 'And what about Greatorex and the others?' I asked myself. 'Shouldn't I at least tell them where I was going?'

No. Came another voice. They wouldn't care anyway. You are better off alone. At least you can't be in anyone's way.

That was my crux. I never wanted to be part of anything like a group because I had believed that I wasn't welcome or I'd be in the way. This was true during the time in the coterie. Tasha was constantly berating me and using me. And then when I got into Stonehead Arrow and tried to help, that backfired too. Even when I joined them, no one wanted to listen until it was too late.

Hugging myself, I took a breath and sat on a rock. Was I doing the right thing? I didn't really want to stay on the continent anymore, but I at least wanted to say goodbye to Greatorex at least and tell him where I am going.

Making my mind up, I ran quickly towards the direction I last saw them head in. But approaching the village a few miles along the coast, coincidentally where ships were docked in the harbour. I asked around if anyone saw them and was told they had left several hours ago, as soon as it became dark.

'Are any of these ships sailing across the seas?' I asked the proprietor of an inn just on the craggy cliff that overlooked the harbour. The inn was small, cosy with four beds; only one was unoccupied, though downstairs was packed with humans.

'One is in the morning, lovey,' she replied. 'Heading for the Isle of Mwert, it's the most western part of the eastern continent Persar.'

'How much is it to gain passage?' I asked.

She frowned at me. 'You aren't human, are you? You're one of those Night Lords.' I nodded. 'You may be free. You wouldn't be any trouble, don't eat or sleep. Sounds like a dream. Stay here while I talk to Remy. He's the captain.' She went to a table and collected some empty plates while I sat at a table and stared out at the sea below. The moon was out, and it made me smile. I missed the sun, and the moon always reminded me of that. Ironic as it was, the moon was illuminated by the very thing which can kill us, yet we needed the rays of the moon to survive, how my existence was a total quandary.

'A Night Lord, eh?' I heard someone grumble. 'Where?'

'She's over there,' the lady pointed at me.

Burping loudly, he pushed himself off the stool he was slouched on and slumped into a chair opposite me. 'Seems you need to pass the seas to the other side,' he said, his breath smelt strongly of beer.

'Yes.'

'Why?'

'Why not?' I replied.

He eyed me, his eyes becoming bloodshot. 'You aren't going to cause me trouble, are you? I've only ever taken a few of you and brought one or two back. The others...' he shrugged, 'never heard of them since.'

'I won't cause you trouble. And who knows how long I'll stay over there. Look, I have no coin on me. I won't ask for board or food. I can help if you need me,' I insisted.

He wiped his nose with the back of his hand. 'Won't be much good if there's a storm during the day,' he spat. 'You won't be much good at all.'

I frowned. 'Well, normally, in a storm, you can't see the sun anyway. I won't say it won't be uncomfortable for me, but if there is a storm in the day, I can help you with that as well. I'm not useless.'

He shrugged. 'Never said you were. Alright then. Best you get on board before sun up. I'll be leaving early in the morning anyway. Calm seas tomorrow. I'll take you to the ship now; you can familiarise yourself.' Heading quickly to the bar, he placed a few bronze coins on the counter, beckoned me, and led me outside.