forty eight

**pls read 47 first.**

Lately, my days felt like they were all blurred together. Like every day was the same and nothing ever changed. As I pulled on a simple dress to go down for dinner, it felt like I had done this more than any normal person has before.

Entering the elevator, Piper gave me words of encouragement and reassurance. I know she meant well, but I wouldn't listen to her until I saw Asra for myself. The door opening distracted Piper from her attempted soothing and we walked towards the dining room together. Since there was still a pack guest, we still had a set meal as a pack.

We were fairly early at arriving and Mya and Eve soon ambushed me as they worriedly asked me questions. Speaking over each other, I had no ability to understand what they were saying.

Lifting my hand, I placed it on Mya's mouth before giving her a pointed look and turning to Eve. Eve snorted, crossing her arms at her sibling before looking back at me.

"Are you okay? I was on my way inside when he barged past me and he smelt a lot like you." She mumbled.

"Yes, I'm fine. It was nothing to worry about." I muttered.

Eve nodded, her eyes scanning my face, lingering too long on the bruising of my jaw. I had kept my hair down, but I assumed she could still see. Mya's eyes were also locked on target, her pupils blown with her beast. I felt her growl against my hand, the faint prick of her canines brushing my skin. I pulled away with a shudder, my arms raising in goosebumps as I repressed the fearful reaction.

"What happened?" She snapped.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it." I shook my head.

She grimaced, her hand coming to move my hair, but I stepped back before she could. Her eyes darted to mine with surprise, but I just gave her a stern smile.

"It's sore." I mumbled.

She nodded once, her lips pursing. "Is this why Asra turned into the Hulk?"

"The who?"

She blanched, blinking at me with disbelief. "The Hulk? Big green comic guy with anger issues?"

"I've... not heard of him."

"Comic books?"

I shook my head.

"Movies? Humans made them..."

"We didn't have regular movies in Evermore."

She let out a low whistle. "Damn, sounds horrible."

Eve snorted. "How is not having access to television the worst thing?"

Mya shot her a look, one that told me they were about to bicker. I took it as my chance to slip away from them when Mya's arms raised to her hips with defiance. I found Piper sat in the same spot as before and slid in next to her. Eliza wasn't here yet, but neither was her mate Caleb. Rio was here. His heated gaze from the head of the table burned through my skin.

Piper subtly nudged me, pulling my gaze from Rio. "I'm sorry I tattled."

"What?" I wondered.

She winced. "When I left you last night... I know you didn't want to be alone, but Rio called me over. I'm not a part of this pack, so I didn't have to listen to him, but... I was concerned for you, and I knew that sending Asra to you would not make the relationship any easier. He would go in guns blazing, so I thought about sending Rio... I didn't know Rio would then tell Asra he was concerned."

As she spoke, she stared down at her lap. Her fingers played with the cotton of her place mat, every so often casting me a look from the corner of her eye. I sighed, nodding with understanding. If the roles were reversed, and I knew something bad happened to Piper, I would want the threat eliminated, too.