Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The towering wolf lifted its massive paw and swiftly directed it towards the individual before it, its sharp claws poised in a threatening manner. Evangeline, feeling a tremor of fear coursing through her, mustered the courage to speak.

"Please, spare me," Evangeline pleaded, her voice quivering with apprehension. "We are strangers to each other."

The wolf's paw halted abruptly, mere inches away from making contact, and it began to speak with an enigmatic tone that reverberated through the strange realm they found themselves in.

"You truly believed I would simply let you go, trespassing upon my territory?" the wolf bellowed, its voice echoing ominously.

"I have no understanding of why I am here, and yet you seek to harm me. I shall defend myself," Evangeline asserted, conjuring a series of fiery arrows with a simple snap of her fingers.

"Take heed, accursed wolf, for these arrows of fire are aimed at you," she declared, launching the projectiles towards the formidable creature.

The arrows hurtled towards their target, only to pass through the wolf without inflicting any harm. Evangeline couldn't help but express her astonishment.

"How is this possible?" she gasped, her voice laced with disbelief.

"Do you truly believe that such a feeble assault could find its mark, child?" the wolf taunted, a mocking laughter emanating from its throat.

"Do not dare to deride me, foolish wolf! It must be a mere coincidence. I shall exhibit my true power now," Evangeline retorted defiantly.

"I eagerly await witnessing what you are truly capable of, young one," the wolf responded with a hint of anticipation.

Suddenly, a blazing halo enveloped Evangeline, encasing her entire body. Swiftly, she rushed towards the wolf, intending to deliver a forceful blow. However, as she reached out to strike, her hand passed through the creature as if it were an ethereal specter.

"Why? How can I not make contact?" confusion permeated Evangeline's words.

"Hahaha! Do you honestly believe that you pose a threat, child? Your feeble attempts are incapable of piercing my essence," the wolf jeered, relishing in his perceived superiority.

"Cease your laughter," Evangeline demanded, her voice tinged with frustration. A pout formed on her face, further emphasizing her displeasure.

"That's it! I have endured enough of your insolence. It is time for you to meet your end," the wolf declared, its expression turning grave. Raising its paw with intent, it swiftly directed its attack towards Evangeline. Caught off guard, she braced herself defensively, closing her eyes in anticipation of the impending strike. However, to her bewilderment, she felt nothing.

"This is strange. Why do I not feel your attack? It appears you are incapable of harming me as well," Evangeline remarked, a smirk playing at the corners of her mouth.

"Do not mock me! I shall dispatch you soon enough," the wolf seethed, his fury palpable.

Undeterred by the wolf's futile attempts to harm her, Evangeline continued to laugh mockingly every time he launched another attack.

"Perhaps you should reconsider, for it seems neither of us can touch or injure the other. Why not take this opportunity to acquaint ourselves?" she suggested.

"I see no reason to acquaint myself with a human such as you," the wolf retorted stubbornly.

"Nevertheless, it is just the two of us here. What harm could come from sharing our stories and unraveling the mystery of this place?" Evangeline inquired, scratching her head inquisitively.