Smack

“Motho waka, are you okay? Stupid question, Please send me your location.” Pheko.
“Moreetsi.” I called out, he was rambling not giving me a chance to answer.
“Lerato laka.” Pheko.
“I am okay, Babe and I are getting waffles. I will be home in an hour.”
“Okay, I’m going to the house to get clothes. Do you need anything?”
“No, be safe.”
“I love you.”Pheko.
“Who wouldn’t love me? I’m loveable.”
“It makes me happy, hearing you laugh.”
“Bye, dude.” I blink my tears away and give Babe his phone back.
“His a good boy.” Babe.
“Ha, Babe, a whole someone’s husband a boy?”
“He is a boy to me. I referred your friend to doctor Galesitoe. She was under medicated.” Babe.
“Thank you. How are you feeling honestly?”
“I’m at peace, I loved my wife, I loved my family and I found you, I loved you the best way I knew and you turned out okay. My only worry was you, then I saw that boy with you and that comforted you. I only wish we had more time together. You and your husband need to decide what you are doing with our house.” Babe.
“No, too soon.”
“I know, I need you to be prepared. As my only child, you are my sole beneficiary. I am sorry, please book an appointment for your hair and nails.” Babe.
I frown at his request because I did my hair on Monday and he paid. I nod agreeing to book. I ask the waiter for our bill and Babe insists on paying. He struggles to remember his pin, I wink at the waiter who patiently starts the payment process after the incorrect pin. I whisper the pin to Babe and he smiles sadly.
“We are going to be okay. I am driving.” He laughs handing me the keys. The drive back home is short with a stop at the fruit store. Bab’Chauke is standing on the braai stand, everyone is laughing at something he said. I look at Babe and my heart bleeds, because in a few years. He won’t be here for that. Babe touches my hand and squeezes it.
“I missed you.” Pheko says after opening the door for me.
“Hey Ngwana ausi kk.” I hug him back, he laughs.
“Come, she is here for you.” Pheko helps me out of the car. He holds my hand.
“Morning.” I wave as we walk to the house. Mrs Moreetsi stands up and gives me a heart-warming hug.
“Oh, ngwanake.” She recites rubbing my back, she pulls back from the hug and she checks my face.
“I will be holding your hand through all the emotions.” She reassures.
“Thank you. Have you eaten?”I ask.
“Yes, Pheko called panicking and when we arrived your aunts made breakfast. Did you eat?”
“Yes thank you. I need to speak to Pheko real fast, we will be back.” I take Pheko’s hand and we go to my bedroom. He hugs me tightly as soon as the door shuts.
“I am sorry for leaving without my phone.”
“I understand, I was only worried that you were alone. I don’t ever want you to be strong with me, let me be your pillar.” Pheko says and I burst into laughter.
“Only you would laugh at me being serious.” Pheko.
“Sihleka noma kufiwa”(We laugh in hard times.)
“I love you.” Pheko, we lay on my bed and I place my head on his chest.
“I am sorry for worrying you. I know you are here, I feel safe on your presence. My heart hurts so much. It hurts physically.” I cry.
“I know my love, I know. Allow yourself to feel all the pain and I will be right here wiping your tears and giving you hugs. If I could carry the pain for you, I would.” Pheko.
“I know and thank you. Do you mind if we take a nap?” He nods and starts brushing me.
“Babe, ngpholise.(Father heal me.” Is my last attempt to pray. Sleep takes over.
“Ntsumi, Ntsumi.” Someone knocks on the door, I sit up and so does Pheko.
“Come in.” I yawn and stretch my arms.
“NwaDerick, come greet your mother in law. They are leaving.” Nhlamu.
I tell her that we coming and she closes the door. Pheko follows me to the lounge where his mother, Babe, bab’Ben and mama Nhlamu are sitting.
“Nhlamu woke you up, I told her not to.” Babe.
“It’s okay, I didn’t see it was this late. Did you eat? Medication?”
“I am okay nana. Your mother says she is leaving.” Babe.
“Please come for Sunday lunch at my house. Next week.” Mrs Moreetsi.
“Thank you.”
I get up from my seat and she gives me a hug. She starts walking to the car and I walk with her, holding hands.
“Chauke, stay well with your children. Please don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything.” She hugs Babe.
“I will call when I get home.” Pheko closes the door and we watch her drive out.
“Miso, are you okay?” I ask him joining him and Nhlamu.
“I am good thanks. Should I make you food? You haven’t eaten today.”
“No thanks, where is Khens?”
“Snake Park.” Pheko looks at her confused. I laugh at him.
“What’s she doing there?” Pheko.
“Oh my word, how do you not know the song?” Nhlamu.
“Oh, you mean   her man’s place?” Pheko laughs.
Nhlamu’s  boyfriend picks her up after we have dinner. The rest of us spend the evening  outside playing board games. Babe retires for bed at 10pm. I heard him complain about nausea. My heart bleeds for him. Pheko and I share my bedroom, Miso sleeps in the spare bedroom. He holds me from behind until I fall asleep.