Yours

Mama comes to see me, she finds me get back from the bathroom getting dressed, Miso brought me a set of clothes. He was with me when they did the cleaning. Mama  gives me a hug while she cries. I stay in her embrace until she pulls out. “I’m so sorry nana.”
I give her a nod and tight smile. I don’t know what to say to her. “The pharmacist only opened now. Oh Mrs Moreetsi, morning.” Miso.
“Hello Bhuti.” Mama hugs him.
“I would love it if you came home with me, so that I can take care of you.” Mama.
“I’m okay mama, don’t worry. Pheko is also coming in 2 days. You will be busy.”
“Don’t, please don’t push me away.”she pleads holding my hands.
“I will come tomorrow, I just want to be home with Babe.”
“I understand.”
“Have you told him?”
“Yes. He is worried about you.” I nod and finish packing.
“We can go see him before I leave.” Miso takes the bag, we silently walk to the elevator after I sign my discharge documents. Miso squeezes my hand. A gesture I appreciate. Mama walks into the room first and we follow. Pheko raises his head at the door and he adjusts his bed so he is sitting.
“Motho waka, I am so sorry.” Pheko says in a shaky voice. He opens his arms, Miso pushes me to the bed.
“I am also sorry.” I rub his back, blinking my own tears away.
“Everything is going to be okay.” I say not believing my own words.
“How are you feeling?” I ask pulling out of the hug.
“Don’t do that, don’t treat me like your patients. We are in this together.” Pheko.
“I’m not doing anything. I asked how you are feeling.”
“I can breathe so I am good. How are you feeling?” Pheko asks holding my hand.
“I’m okay. Sleepy.”
“Mama, please make her your butternut soup when you get home. I will see you in the afternoon.” Pheko, I forgot his mother was here.
“Ugh, I am going to my home.”
“Why? Who will help you? Miso has a baby.” Pheko.
“I honestly want to sleep, I don’t need much help. I will come tomorrow to see you.”
“I hear you.”Pheko.
“Thank you for not fighting me. You must take care okay. I will see you in the morning.” I give him a hug and walk outside the door. Miso follow behind me, he gives me a hug, all the tears I was hiding fall out, I try hiding my sobs but they get louder.
“S’miso, Bafo!!” Pheko calls from the room. I try moving from Miso, he holds me tighter and tells me to cry it out. A nurse comes running towards us. Miso asks for water, I hear her footsteps. Pheko keeps calling for Miso.
“I’m okay.”
“You don’t need to be strong anymore, you have me and sbali to be strong for you. Allow us okay.” Miso.
“Thank you.” He nods his head and leads me to Pheko.
“Come to me my love, I am very sorry.”Pheko.
“I didn’t know. It hurts more, I should have known.”
“Don’t do that to yourself, we both didn’t know.” He holds me in his embrace.
“I’m sorry to disturb, didn’t think you still have visitors.” The doctor says.
“It’s okay, I called for you. I need a day pass to be with my wife.” Pheko.
“No, you are sick.” I get up from the bed.
“My wife needs me.” Pheko ignores me.
“Pheko, I am fine now.”
“Mr Moreetsi, you would need to come in every morning for your antibiotics. Tonight you can leave after the 6pm medication.” Doctor.
“He is staying.”
“Thanks doc.”
“Pheko, you don’t have the cushion, what about the bathroom? Wheelchair?”
“Those can.” I shoot the doctor a side eye and he laughs leaving the room.
“I guess we have to go home and prepare the house. I will call Morris.” Mrs Moreetsi, walks out. Miso laughs when I roll my eyes. The nurse gives me forms to collect a wheelchair and wound dressings. Miso takes the paper laughing.
“Uyaphi?”Miso.
“Bathroom.” Pheko’s room has a bathroom. I change my pad and clots come out, my heart clenches at the knowledge of them being my baby.
“Does it hurt?” Pheko knocks on the door.
“Pheko, your leg should be elevated.” He leans on the basin and watches me pee and wipe, his injured leg hanging.
“It hurts a little more than usual. Is your leg not heavy?” he has a metal brace with pins in his flesh, that goes from his lower knee to the ankle, it looks painful and heavy.
“Not really, I wanted to apologize for my outburst..”
“Not today please.”
“How will we stay together if I don’t recognize my wrongs and apologize?” Pheko.
“I also overreacted.”
“You reacted to my treatment, I am sorry.” Pheko.
“I forgave you, I need to go buy groceries for your place. And prepare your bedroom, Miso also needs to go help Okuhle, I will be here at 5pm to pick you up.”
“Sounds cold, your place, your.” Pheko. I smile dismissing him.
“What do you want to eat?”
“Don’t cook, mama will bring us dinner. Get what you need and go rest please.” He gives me a hug and his wallet. I smile taking it to the parking lot. Miso finds me waiting in the car, I drop him off at home and then I drive to the complex to buy vegetables and fruits. Bhuti is at the apartment, he is with a man who is putting on a wooden ramp. I greet them and lay on the couch.