28

Draven did arrive quickly. By the time he had knocked on his front door, Callisto was feeling a bit better. He had all but turned the event three hours ago over and over in his head, trying to understand what had transpired. Still, even as he opened the door to let Draven in, he couldn't find the answers that he needed.

The man with neon green lights knew Luna.

Yet, he had never heard of the man before from her. Or has he?

That was the question. Had she mentioned about him before and he had forgotten about it? Every time that thought crossed his mind, a cold block of ice stuck itself in his chest, making it hard for him to breathe and running his blood cold. Draven's eyes met his and they searched his face even as he was taking a step into his apartment.

When the door clicked close behind him, Draven spoke, catching his attention. "Are you okay?"

Callisto shrugged. "I'm fine..."

If he had been asked about this three hours ago, right as he was about to die, then maybe his answer would be different. But that was before he found out about Luna. Looking right at the other man, Callisto said, "That guy knows about Luna."

"I got that," Draven said, flicking his gaze all over his face before a soft sigh escaped his lips. "That isn't the issue here, is it?"

Callisto furrowed his eyebrows. "It absolutely is. Did you not hear me? He knows Luna."

"I know." Draven pointed a finger at him. "But before that, you said you almost got killed." The emphasis of the word was heavy. "Geez... I keep my eye out of you for one second and you almost die!"

He kept his mouth shut. This wasn't an over exaggeration either. Because Callisto would probably react the same way if he heard any of his friends going through that. A part of him was still reeling from the event, of course. Perhaps tonight when he would be left with his own devices, the horror of him almost facing his death would wash over him.

As of the moment though... he had bigger things to worry about and if there was one thing he was good at, it was compartmentalising things.

"Draven, he knows Luna."

"Yes, I've heard you the first time!" Draven rubbed a hand down his face. With a narrowed gaze at Callisto, he walked past him to the living room. "Instead of worrying about your life, all you've been parroting since you called is about Luna."

"Because she's the most important clue right now," he said. It was the truth. Luna meant more to him than his own life ever did. She was the only one who made sure he didn't give up on this thing called life. He had nobody to rely on growing up and without her, he... wouldn't have made it to who he was now. "She's my family. My only family."

Draven lifted his gaze to meet his from across the room. A few seconds of silence ticked by before he gave a curt nod. "I know. Even back then when we were... all you ever talked about in regards your family was her."

The implication of a time when he had trusted Draven enough to speak about his family to him made him wince. Hiding that reaction as best as he could, Callisto bulldozed past that and said, "The guy knows her. I don't know who he is but he was also looking for my research notes. Something about those two has to be connected."

"Research notes?" It was Draven's turn now to furrow his eyebrows, a frown etching itself on his lips. "Putting aside he almost harmed you, which we will get to later," he said, eyeing Callisto, "the fact he came to you for research notes that he stole is..."

Ignoring Draven's insistence about worrying about his safety, as if he had any right left to do so, Callisto nodded. "Weird. I know. But he asked me where the real research notes are. That... they are not the research notes he was looking for."