Temptation - Chapter 17

Have you ever been tempted to steal anything?

I stole a packet of gum when I was younger. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but my decision haunted me for the next couple of weeks. Eventually I burst and confessed to my parents. I remember so vividly how much I blubbered; the tears running down my face, the snot drooling out of my nose. My parents comforted me, lectured me, and then we walked to the shop and I sheepishly returned the gum. Luckily the owner was very calm and kind about the whole situation. You don't wanna yell at a child, right? Even if they've done something wrong, it still feels mean to yell at their little face. Ever since then I sort of had a bit of a fear of stealing. Do you feel the same?

You don't?

Y/N - "No, I don't."

??? - "Have you stolen something before?"

Y/N - "I have stolen many things before."

??? - "Would you be comfortable talking about that with me? What did you steal?"

Y/N - "Many things. I stole a knife."

??? - "... okay. When did you steal this knife?"

Y/N - "A few months back now. I still have it, look."

??? - "Jesus..."

Y/N - "... never mind."

??? - "Oh, I d-didn't mean ay offence to you, Y/N. I was just caught off guard-"

Y/N - "Of course you were. Ugh, I have stolen many things before. No, I do not care. The stuff I steal I put to use, which other people wouldn't do. It's like recycling. It's probably best this way anyway. What's so wrong with that?"

??? - "... don't you think-"

Can we talk about something else?

Sure, let's go back to the horizon.

Y/N brushed the hair out of his eyes as he walked off-stage, being accented by shaky, uncertain applause from the body of the school. He wasn't upset by the mediocre response as he knew they killed it. All that hard effort had finally payed off. If only they could replicate this performance as flawlessly as they did now for the Winter Festival in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed...

Kanai and Yuno grinned at Y/N as Kanai tossed him a water bottle. Trying to keep their voices down backstage, they silently celebrated a good maiden voyage for their band.

Y/N - "That wasn't too bad-"

Kanai - "Too bad?!"

Yuno - "Shhh, keep it down Kanai."

Y/N - "I jest. Good stuff, you two. I'm suddenly feeling a lot less nervous about the Winter Festival."

There was a new feeling of curiosity Y/N couldn't quite shake, however. What had the club thought of his performance? More importantly, what had Monika thought? Luckily, it wouldn't take too long to find out - the only lessons Y/N had today was double science with Monika herself. As soon as he could, Y/N's Friday afternoon would turn into a mad dash to dress up, call in a couple favours, get to central Tokyo and get back to Monika's place with some sort of transport. And then came the fabled date itself.

It had snowballed so much in his mind the mere thought of the date was incredibly nerve-wracking. Well, there was a plethora of emotions mixed into how he was feeling about it. Nervous, of course, but that was justified. Monika was incredible, Y/N felt like he wasn't, and this was a lot more formal and romantically charged than their coffee date. Especially now they had confessed to one another. This was, like, serious serious. Then again, it would be ignorant to ignore the excitement that had been bubbling about it. School was good and all, but this felt like a day that would never really come, and now it was here. Y/N got to take out this girl he really liked for a nice evening. That, in his books, was an absolute win.