II. David and James

[chapter 2]

Eileanoir

The winter sun was peeking through the window as i woke up with a yawn.

We had found a empty small town to lay low and rest as Joel was injured and we were all tired.

Ellie had also seemingly woken up a while ago, and was sitting by Joel's side.

"Hey." I say softly as to not scare her, but she still slightly jumps.

"Oh, hey. How did you sleep?" She asks kindly and stands up, walking closer to me.

"I slept fine. How's Joel?" I question, putting on my jacket. I was thinking about going hunting since we were running low on food.

"I think he's getting worse." Ellie says quietly and rubs her hands together. "Oh man..." I whisper.

"We need medicine. I can try to find some. I'm going out hunting." I tell her. I take my stuff and put them in my backpack.

"I'll come too!" She says excitedly and rushes to her backpack. I shake my head slowly.

"Are you sure?"

She thinks for a moment. "Yeah, i mean... Estes can stay here with Joel."

I sigh. "I wasn't planning on waking my brother up. I don't think he'd let me go." I explain honestly. She looks at me, confused.

"Well... I'll come anyway. We'll be back in a second, right?" She nods to herself.

"Yeah."

So we left. We took the horse, Callus, and went to a forest. We were hoping to find rabbits and deer so we kept going further and further until we were pretty far away from the village.

"Look. A rabbit." Ellie nudges me softly and points to a rabbit, hopping away carelessly.

"You got it?" I ask and she nods. I watch as she slowly approaches the rabbit and then shoots an arrow through it.

"Sorry little guy." I whisper.

"This isn't going to last very long." Ellie sighs and attaches the rabbit to the horse. I nod, agreeing.

But then i notice a deer a little distance away from us. "Ellie, look."

She turns around and notices it. She nods and hands me the bow.

I crouch down, getting closer to the deer. I aim and i shoot. It hits the deer and it starts running, making sounds of pain.

We run after it and then i get my eye on it again, i release an arrow again. "This little fucker wont die." Ellie says after i hit it for the second time and it just keeps running.

"Come on." I say and we run after it again.

"Wow." I breathe as we get to a creepy looking town.

"Not creepy at all." Ellie says, voice shaky. I put a reassuring hand on her shoulder and we keep walking until we find the deer. I give Ellie her bow back.

"Finally." Ellie smiles. Then something snaps a few feet away.

I point my gun at the sounds direction and Ellie aims her bow.

"Who's there? We heard you! Come out!" We yell together.

Two men step out from behind a house with their hands up. "Hello. We just want to talk!" The man with the receding hairline says.

"Any sudden moves and i put one right between your eyes. Ditto for buddy-boy over there." Ellie says confidently. I keep my gun aimed at them.

"What do you want?" I ask with venom dripping from my words.

"Name's David, this here's my friend, James." He says, slightly stuttering his words.

"We're from a larger group - women, children - we're all very, very hungry." He says.

"So are we - women and children - all very hungry too." Ellie says, determined.

"Well, maybe we could trade you for some of that meat there." he questions. I shake my head.

"What do you need? Weapons, ammo, clothes-" "Medicine! Do you have any antibiotics?" Ellie says quickly.

The men look at eachother. "We do. Back at the camp. You're welcome to follow us-" "We're not following you anywhere." I say sternly.

"Buddy-boy can go get it. He comes back with what we need, the deer is all yours." She keeps her aim on the mans head, ready to shoot at any moment.

"Anyone else shows up-" "You put one right between my eyes." The man, David, rudely interrupts.

Ellie breathes deeply. "That's right."

The men look at eachother again. "Two bottles of the penicillin and a syringe. Make it fast. Go on." David says to the other and he leaves without a word.

"I'll take that rifle." Ellie says smugly.

"Of course." He says. "Back up." It feels empowering, having others do anything you want.

Silence follows.

"He's probably gonna be a while. You mind if we take some shelter from the cold?" David laughs a little and asks.

Ellie looks at the deer. "Bring him with us."

So we go get shelter.