X. Everything you hoped for

[chapter 10]

Eileanoir

"Ellie! Eli!" We turn around. "Did you hear me?"

Ellie looks confused. "No. What?"

"Look. Hospital. This is where we get off. Now, let's go kiddos."

And we walk. Through all the abandoned cars. We were in Salt lake city already. Not long until we would find the Fireflies.

It was a beautiful day outside. The wind was nice, it wasn't too hot or cold. Just perfect.

"You feel that breeze, huh? I tell you, on a day like this, I'd just sit on my porch, pick away at my six-string." he walks ahead and speaks proudly. He's been a good help these past few months, even in his akwardness.

"Yeah, once we're done with this whole thing, I'm gonna teach you kids how to play guitar." he laughs. "Yeah, i reckon you'd really like that."

"Whaddya say, huh?" He says as birds fly by us.

"Kids, I'm talking to you." We look at him, puzzled. "Huh? Yeah... Yeah that's nice." I say with a quick smile. He sighs and we keep going.

"We can look for stuff in these cars." Joel informs us. "It's probably pretty picked over." I shake my head.

"Okay." He laughs and keeps walking.

"I dreamt about flying the other night." Ellie suddenly says. I laugh. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. I'm on this big plane full of people and everyone's screaming and yelling cause the plane's going down. So i walk to the cockpit, open the door, but there's no pilot."

Joel nods his head, telling that he's eagerly listening.

"I try to use the controls but... i obviously have no clue how to fly a plane. And right before we crash, i wake up." she explains.

"Damn." I look at her and she nods.

"I've never been on a plane. Isn't that weird?" She asks.

"Well, you know, dreams are weird." Joel says and picks something up from the ground.

We keep walking until we get to a lower ground. "Look at that... Another city, another abandoned quarantine zone."

We jump on some cars to get over a fence. "There's that hospital the Firefly mentioned. C'mon kiddos."

And we jump down. We run into a big building. "Maybe we cut through here, huh?"

We run down the stairs and sit down to catch our breaths. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah. Fine." We quickly answer. He knows we're not exactly okay.

"You just kinda seem extra quiet today." He says with a kind voice. "Oh sorry."

"No, it's not... It's fine" he explains and runs around the room.

He looks up to the second level. "We could use that ladder. One of you, come on."

Nothing.

"Kids. The ladder c'mon." He calls to us. "Right."

Joel boosts Ellie up to get the ladder. "Okay..." She throws the ladder down very ungracefully. Something makes a banging sound.

"Oh my god." She says and runs to the sound. "What is it? Ellie? Ellie!"

He sets down the ladder and we climb up. As we get up Ellie runs to another room and excitedly yells;

"You gotta see this!"

"What? What is it?" I run after her. "Come look!" Ellie yells. She opens a door. "Whoa."

We run in and we see it. A giraffe. "You see this?" Its chomping down on some leaves. It's adorable.

Joel walks very close to it. "What are you doing?"

"It's alright. Come here, come here. Hey fella." he pets the giraffe gently. "Hurry up. Go on."

We walk closer to it slowly and raise our hands. Hoepfully we won't scare it. It's soft little fur feels nice. I giggle slightly. "It's so cute."

"So fucking cool." Ellie says as the giraffe walks away. "Aw, where's it off to? C'mon, lets go." And we run after it.

"Slow down kids." Joel laughs behind us. We run up a few stairs and get to a balcony like thing.

Joel is coming slightly behind us. "Oh man. Wow. Look at those things."

We lean on the fence as we look down. "So... this everything you were hoping for?"

"It's got it's ups and downs... but you cant deny the view though." Ellie sighs.

Joel goes to open a door but he freezes. "We don't have to do this, Ellie. You know that, right?"

Ellie scoffs a little "What's the other option?"

"We go back to Tommy's." Ellie told me about Jackson. It sounded nice.

"You know, Eli can come with us, We'll live together. As a family." He says softly, silently hoping Ellie would say yes.

"After all that we've been through... after everything we've done. It can't be for nothing. And Eli, she wants to get to the Fireflies, right?"

I smile at her. I'm not so sure anymore. Now that Estes is gone. After hearing what life could be, in Jackson. But i say; "Sure."

Then Ellie confidently walks through the door. "Look, i know you mean well... but there's no halfway with this. Once we're done, we'll go wherever you want, okay?" She tells Joel.

I'm glad that she knows how much Joel actually cares about her. It's heartwarming.

"Well i ain't leaving without you, so let's go wrap this up." He answers softly.