Three - Pretty Hard To Miss

Song Of The Chapter || Kiss With A Fist - Florence + The Machine 

𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄

"Annie, could you come see me for a minute?" I heard Professor Price announce. I was so wrapped up in my conversation with Garrett that I didn't even notice that the sixty person lecture room had become almost empty in a matter of a few minutes. I spared a glance to Garrett, wondering if he had any answers. He was as clueless as I was. I shrugged as he and I made our way to the front of the classroom. As we got closer another person became very recognizable.

Rhys Sinclair.

I didn't know him personally or anything. But I could recognize his dark brown hair just from the games I had gone to cheer Garrett on at. He was 6'2, pretty hard to miss.

He didn't know me. But I knew him.

During study sessions, Garrett would talk about what an absolute asshole Rhys was. How he never joined the team for any events outside of practice or games, and wouldn't even acknowledge most of them when they were outside of the rink.

But on the ice, he was worse.

I didn't know everything about hockey, but I knew enough to remember that you were supposed to pass the puck. Something Rhys seemed to know nothing about if last years games were anything to go off of. Sure, he was undeniably gifted, but being gifted only goes so far when you're treating yourself like you're a one man army.

The Wakeford Bobcats were a great team. Not only because of their skill, but because their players had a real connection. It was like watching a team have telepathic powers anytime they stepped out on the ice. But Rhys had done everything in his power to put up the blockade.

Worst of all, he was a total jerk to Garrett. Garrett was undoubtedly one of the sweetest people I had ever met. I don't care if I'm biased, because half of the Wakeford campus agrees.

I knew Rhys Sinclair all too well. The prick.

Still, it was definitely not a good look for me to spit verbal acid at this guy right in front of my professor, so I tried to keep as straight faced as possible. At least I had Garrett next to me.

"Garrett, this is a private matter. Could you please wait outside?" Spoke Professor Price.

Garrett looked at me, then Professor Price, then Rhys with utter confusion. Then he nodded in response.

"I'll see you outside, okay?" Garrett said while putting a hand on my shoulder. I only nodded, already missing the warmth of his touch. I quickly turned my attention to Professor Price, doing anything and everything to keep my attention away from Garrett who was leaving, or Rhys who had his focus solely trained on Garrett before his attention suddenly snapped back to me. I looked away as fast as possible, trying to convince myself that I never gave a shred of attention to him or those deep brown eyes.

I wasn't blind, after all.

"Annie, I remember you telling me that you would like me to reach out to you about any students that might need help with tutoring?" Professor Price asks.

"Yes, it would be most appreciated." I answer. I had already told every professor in my Gen-Eds about this. I don't exactly have time for a job, but a grocery bill isn't going to pay itself, so I was hoping that tutoring might be able to cover some of those costs. So far, no luck. I was hoping this was good news, since my supply of money from working summer jobs was depleting fast.