Seven - We're Starting Tonight

Song Of The Chapter || Dirty Little Secret - The All American Rejects

𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄

We left the study room, but my brain was now working overtime.

I had just agreed to be a fake girlfriend.

A fake girlfriend of Rhys Sinclair.

The person that the guy I'm in love with can't stand. All for a chance that he'll notice me.

I am so pathetic. And I am so screwed.

As we walk out of the library together, I feel this crazy pounding in my chest. A big ball of stress is hurdling its way towards me.

What if no one buys it? What if everyone buys it? Is the whole hockey team going to see me going out with Rhys Sinclair? What will Enid think? What does going out even entail? How the hell should I know? Am I supposed to hold his hand? Go on dates? Holy shit what if he tries to kiss me again? I've never kissed anyone? What if Rhys tries to kiss me and I'm so hopelessly terrible that everyone sees his disgusted reaction and realizes I made up this lie? What if I get caught? What will Garrett think? Would he ever speak to me again? What if someone asks us to prove it? Do I have to do more than kiss Rhys?! I don't want to do anything with Rhys! I—

"Calloway." The voice next to me snaps me out of my thoughts. "You alright? It looks like you're about to blow a fuse."

"We need rules." I state.

"Rules?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Like a contract." I explain.

"I know what rules are, but why do we need them?" He asks, then that same smirk appears again before he leans in. "You gonna fall for me, Calloway?" His voice rasps.

I shove a hand in his face. "This! This right here! This is why we need rules. I don't want you making a big deal out of something that is most definitely not a big deal."

"Okay, sheesh. So do you wanna text about them or...?" He drawls on.

"Are you crazy?!" I whisper shout. "No trail of evidence. No one can know about this!" Shit. What if people hear us, we are in public, after all. "We need to talk about them, now. Back at my place."

"Inviting me back to your place already?" His voice glides. He's eyeing me up and down like I'm a new toy. Like I'm an amusing dog that keeps doing new tricks.

"Stop it!" I snap quietly. I start walking and motion for him to follow me. We look like quite the pair of idiots. I'm only 5'5, so his slow but long steps quickly make up for my short, quick ones. It's already 10:30pm. I'm praying to all that is good that Enid hasn't come out of her room yet to try and start the TV for movie night.

| ★★★★★ |

I feel like a secret agent. I sneak through the halls of the apartment complex before making my way to the elevator. Though Rhys is acting as nonchalant as ever and its starting to piss me off. What if someone sees us? Garrett lives here, what if he sees us? I suppose that's the point of the whole fake relationship, but not before we establish some boundaries, damnit!

I press the button for the fourth floor on the elevator. He follows me in. I try my best to stand in front of him in case we stop on the third floor somehow on the way up. Garrett's floor. I hear him chuckle behind me and it makes my blood boil. "Having fun?" I ask sarcastically.