The Hero's Dash and the Villain's Crash (10)

Nico immediately knew something was off, really, really off.

"There are tunnels leading down from the sewers," Nico reported, standing up again and turning not to look at Aqua Lad.

Nightshade has discovered tunnels leading down below the sewers. Aqua Lad told everyone through their mental link. Nico had forgotten it was there since it had been quiet for so long.

Should we regroup? Kid Flash's voice echoed in Nico's brain. Nico had decided a long time ago that he was not a huge fan of this whole 'mental communication' thing.

How far down are the tunnels? Robin asked this time. Nico forced his consciousness back down on the ground to check.

I can't see any tunnels leading down. Superboy stated, shattering Nico's focus. Nico grits his teeth but regains his composure and resumes his analysis.

Do you think they are encased in lead? Artemis asked. Nico sighed but didn't say anything, it was a valid question.

I would be able to tell if it was. Superboy replied.

Guys, I'm trying to focus. Nico groaned through the mental link. A short span of silence followed, and Nico started shadow-searching the tunnels again, but he barely managed to get an inch beneath the shady surface before his concentration was interrupted again.

How are we going to get down there if the sewers are so dangerous? Kid Flash asked. Nico removed his hands from Aqua Lad's shadow out of frustration.

We don't even know if the tunnels go down anywhere except sewer drop-offs. Red Robin offered.

It would be nice if we knew. Artemis said patronizingly.

I would be able to tell you guys if you let me focus. Nico hissed, not bothering to put his hands back into the shadows because he knew he was going to be interrupted again.

Why is he the only one who is able to see these? Superboy asked suspiciously. Nico could sense Aqua Lad getting ready to project something over the mental link, but Miss Martian beat him to it.

I can only sense people's consciousness. I can't sense individual objects like Nightshade can. She said Nico could tell that she was trying to prevent things from escalating into another argument. And even you have your limits Superboy, we are miles into the air and I'm sure the tunnels are deep enough and through thick enough slabs of stone and clay that your x-ray vision probably won't reach it.

Then why hasn't Red Robin and the other one found anything related to tunnels underneath the sewer? Superboy growled. And that was when Nico figured out Superboy was insecure. Nico immediately lost all of his anger (Nico was actually lying, he was still pissed at Superboy for arguing with him about people literally losing their lives.) towards Superboy. Nico knew what it felt like to be insecure about his own power. Heck, Nico hung around the seven a lot, and they were some of the most powerful people to ever exist. At least in Nico's opinion.

Other one? Robin snapped through the mental link and Nico bit back a laugh. Seeing Damian get worked up seemed even funnier now that he was Nico's brother.

We haven't even reached some sort of building yet. Red Robin answered, ignoring Superboy's hostility.

We are pretty out in the middle of nowhere. Nightwing sighed. There isn't much out here other than sand and well, more sand.

My apologies. Miss Martian said shyly. I wanted to make sure we wouldn't be spotted.

You made the right decision, Miss Martian. Aqua Lad reassured. Nightwing, head back to the Bio Ship. Nightshade, get us some information on what could be down in those tunnels.