Mind Games (41)

"Why does everything have to be under such strict time constraints?" Reyna sighed; her hands buried in the palms of her hand.

Nico was wondering the same exact thing. Everything had to happen right then and there. Well, he guessed they had almost three months where they knew about Koios and the prophecy, but no one knew about the planned attack on Camp Jupiter until a few hours ago.

"I let Chiron know first so he could speed up the camp vans and get everyone here on time." He told her, trying to give her some sort of comfort. "They said they'll be here by tomorrow if the Harpies and satyrs switch out periodically during the drive and there are very few rest stops."

"You said the army was large? How large?" Reyna asked, picking her head up to stare at the giant map of Camp Jupiter spread out on the dining pavilion floor. There were forks stabbed in at various entrances around the camp as markers of where they needed to build barriers.

"I'm not sure. I don't think the pictures got the full extent of the numbers, but it has to be something in the hundreds. Maybe more." Nico answered, knowing that that was probably doing nothing to soothe her nerves.

"I hope they get here on time and don't have too many monster run-ins." Reyna grabbed another fork from the basket by her side and stabbed it into the map, right on the road by the stables.

"Where are you planning on pinning the fight? The field of Mars?" Nico asked, there were many holes in the map from when they had fought before so he couldn't exactly tell which mark was which.

"No. We need to keep them on the other side of the little Tiber. Your Apollo kids can shoot well, right?" Nico shot to his feet, startling Reyna. "What?" Her hand flew to her sword hilt, looking around for an enemy.

"The hunters! I should call the hunters of Artemis to help!" He didn't know how he hadn't thought of that before. The hunters were some of the most formidable warriors he knew. They were invaluable in a fight.

"Just wait a second before you go running off again." Reyna seemed to relax, if only slightly. "I still need a little bit of information from you."

Nico obediently sat back down, crossing his legs, and looking back at the map. He took a fork of his own and plunged it into the entrance.

"Can't have them getting out, can we?" He explained at Reyna's raised eyebrow. She grinned at him and nodded in approval.

"Is there anything else that the- I forgot whatever his name is- told you that might be important?" Reyna asked, straightening her back into the perfect posture she always had.

"...The Penguin told me the time Titan had carved out his heart as punishment," Nico said after a few seconds of contemplation. Reyna looked a little surprised but didn't show it much.

"You should ask Frank about that. He should understand more about this than I can." She advised.

"My list of chores just keeps getting longer and longer, huh." That was a poor excuse for a joke.

"Not as long as mine." Reyna sighed, plopping her head back into her hands. "You said they were in Delphi and now they're in Italy, how are they covering that much land in a day?"

"I'm assuming he has something to do with it. He might be controlling the monsters' minds to make them work harder and faster." Nico offered, not really sounding that sure of himself.

"Possibly. Do we know if the Titan of the prophetic mind is staying in Delphi or traveling with them?" It took Nico a few seconds to realize Phoibe was the Titan of the prophetic mind.

"I wish I knew. I really did." Nico's shoulders slumped forward. There were so many unknowns at the moment, leaving them with way more questions than answers.