The Feels (46)

Nico was probably frothing at the mouth.

It felt like he was frothing everywhere. Like the blood in his veins was starting to sizzle, forming clumps of foam that threatened to spill out of his skin and go splattering everywhere. All over the stupid pillar that was still rocking underneath him.

He also couldn't move an inch.

There was a curling sensation in his gut, spreading out across his limbs before seemingly solidifying into steel. His head jerked backward, staring up at the ceiling as the rods formed in his neck, refusing to let him move.

He could faintly hear the sounds of someone calling out to him, but the noises seemed muted, far away, like they were on opposite ends of a very long tunnel. And then there were voices that weren't as quiet.

Foolish Son of Hades. That same, cold, condescending voice rang in his skull, bouncing around until it made his head pound in agony. Did you really think you could get away with coming anywhere near my heart without me noticing? I left half of my consciousness residing within the walls of that amphora, to protect it in case of the failure of my wife and son. Which I so clearly predicted.

Nico didn't have the energy or want to reply. He grit his teeth, hearing them scrape against each other gave him a weird sense of grounding. He was in his body, and Koios didn't have any control over him. Not while he still had the circlet on.

Speaking of the circlet, it was burning against his skin, no doubt leaving marks. It seemed this invasion was too much for it to take. It honestly felt like it was going to explode into flames at any second.

It seems that your friend is more competent than I had assumed he was when I first laid eyes on him through you. His piece of puny technology holds rather well against mental attacks. Such a shame that Martian had to break it in order to communicate mentally with you. And look at where that got you. Koios jeered. Spasms started to erupt all along Nico's body, starting first in the tips of his fingers and slowly traveling up his arms, spreading like wildfire.

He convulsed, his entire body shaking, trembling as pain racked through him, making the tremors worse. So much worse. Yet, by some cursed miracle, his finger stayed glued to the now burning-hot surface of the container.

And you should know that you have a similar weakness to mine. Your greatest strength is your weakest link. Nico's teeth gnashed harder together as he desperately tried to pull his fingers away from the surface. No luck. There was never any luck for him.

I don't know what you're talking about. He finally managed to force back, slightly grateful that this villain 'monologue' was happening inside his brain, he wasn't sure he would be able to form a coherent sentence with his brain being shredded like this.

Oh, I figured as much. Koios replied simply, his voice was harsh, acting as the final knife that cut through his will. His arms trembled harder and his fingers slipped, slightly. Let me show you.

Let me go. Nico growled back. Finally managing to move his other arm, shifting it to grab his wrist. Pulling with as much strength as he had left.

Your greatest strength is your powers. Yet, those failed you when you transported the Athena Parthenos across the world. Now, they have come back, stronger than they have ever been before. But that is also your weakness. Observe... or don't.

Nico couldn't help the scream that was torn from his lip. His stomach writhed, slowly creeping up his body. It felt like a knife was dragging up his skin, occasionally pressing deeper and hitting an organ. Then they reached his neck. It felt like he was being strangled.