CHAPTER 44 -II

"What is it?" Katsumi's voice carried a clear note of annoyance as a group of clan members stood before her.

As the commotion reached her ears, Y/N gingerly peeked through a slight gap between the doors, her curiosity piqued. She observed her elder sister engrossed in conversation with her fellow clan members.

The sight of a frown and a scowl etching Katsumi's usually composed features was a rare occurrence

The sight of a frown and a scowl etching Katsumi's usually composed features was a rare occurrence. Y/N found herself wondering about the reason behind Katsumi's evident frustration towards her own clan members.

After all, they were working together for the betterment of the clan, united by the shared goal of strength and prosperity. So, what could be bothering her?

"Did you know Shion died last night?"

The news came from the clan members, and though Katsumi's eyes registered a slight widening, she swiftly returned to her stoic demeanor.

"And?" Her voice maintained an air of detachment. "Death is an inherent risk in the life of a shinobi. It's a grim reality we must accept."

"Don't dismiss this so casually!" The man's voice was raised, frustration evident in his tone.

Katsumi's hands remained calmly folded in front of her. "So? Your opinions hold no weight in my choices."

Y/N's eyes widened upon hearing her sister's emotionally detached response. A mix of shock and sadness washed over her, and her eyes began to well up with tears as she absorbed the news of Shion's death.

Her mind slipped into a haze as memories of Shion played out, like an unbidden slideshow, and she momentarily tuned out the ongoing conversation

Amidst the tension, Katsumi's gaze shifted as she noticed Shisui standing by her doorstep, a box dropped to the floor beside him.

His shock was palpable as he held Katsumi's shoulders, his words stumbling in disbelief. "W-What? Tell me this isn't true, Katsumi. I heard about Shion, but it can't be right."

One of the clan members added fuel to the fire with a scornful tone. "She sent Shion on a dangerous mission alone, leading to her demise."

Struggling to comprehend the unfolding tragedy, Shisui attempted to leave the scene, his grasp on the situation slipping. "I... I need to go."

"Shis—" Katsumi made a move to stop him, but the clan members intervened, blocking her path.

Their voices were laced with skepticism and mistrust. "Katsumi, your actions have shaken our faith in you."

Katsumi's response held a knowing edge, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, don't worry. I'm fully aware."

As tension escalated, the air grew thick with animosity. One of the clan members delivered a veiled threat, implying the dire consequences of betraying the clan.