Chapter 18: Kick a Dog When She Down

Chapter 18

Kick a Dog When She Down
------------------------------------
O'Shae

"Can I have my pencil back?" I asked August.

We have both been sitting in English and today was a super boring lecture day, and clearly August was getting restless. He's been poking me, and taking my pencil. I'm tired and just don't have it in me today to be joyful. My mom has been blowing me up all last night asking to talk, but I've been avoiding speaking to her since the last time I saw her, and I'm kind of okay with keeping it like that.

"What's wrong baybeh?" He asked after kissing the side of my head.

"Nothing. I just want to finish taking notes." I told him.

Quietness set in between us, and I could see him staring at me still, but I wasn't going to cave in. I know he's here for me, and a good listener, but I don't need to burden him further with the little things in my life.

He ended up giving my pencil back near the end of class, and neither of us said anything until it was over. He grabbed my bag and text book for me before we headed out of class and out into the main court where everyone else was walking through, and where we are suppose to meet Dink and Corina.

"You wanna talk to me right quick, and stop actin' like somethin' ain't on yo mind?" He asked.

I shook my head, and grabbed my bag from him, and stuffed my text book in it. I was going to speak up, but Dink came bopping over. He pulled my arm real hard to bring me closer to him so I could hear whatever he was gonna say.

"Uhm yo mama is here." he told me. I looked at him confused and he nodded to answer the question that I didn't even speak aloud.

"Dink what the hell is she doing here?"

"Shit, your guess is better than mine, that's yo mama. Plus she got her Tyra Banks strut goin' down so clearly she here to handle business."

I smacked his chest real hard since he wanna joke around right now. I have no clue what this woman is here for, and I don't want her here. I get she's my mother, and maybe I shouldn't be being disrespectful but I just don't care to be around her at the moment.

August was about to speak up, but I caught my mama strutting her way right on over to us. We all watched until she got right in front of me. She took her sunglasses off, and looked at me funny.

"O'Shae, where have you been, and why haven't you been answering any of my calls? I was worried about you. "

I rolled my eyes and looked down at the ground and back up at her. "You weren't worried about me. If you were worried you would've been here last week."

"Little girl, don't you dare talk to me like that! I will embarrass the hell out of you in front of your little friends. Now you need to come to the house with me so we can talk since you haven't answered me."

"I have a lot of work to finish up here, and I just don't want to come over tonight mama."

"No, you will come over and talk to me, because we need to talk. Since you can't make it tonight, you can come now." She grabbed my arm and started pulling me in the direction that she came from, but another hand pulled me back.

Of course when I turned around it was August who pulled me away from her. Mama snapped around real quick when she realized I wasn't toting behind her still.

"Excuse me boy, who are you?"

"August. You are?"

Mama had a look of shock on her face and so did I, but I could hear Dink in the back tryin' his absolute best to hold in his laughter. It failed and he busted out laughing only adding on to mamas anger.