Plotting Methods

By XxxSistersxxX

Before I start, I want to preface that everyone does this differently, and I am not telling you to change how you plot your stories. If you wish to, please tell me how you plot in the comments. This article is just to give you an overview of how you can plot and, if you are new to writing, a great starting point to start your journey into plotting. I won't be able to cover every different type of way to plot, but I will cover a few.

*Method numbers do not indicate the best or worst way to plot.

Method 1 - No plotting
I am going to tell you an easy method that a lot of people use when it comes to plotting their stories, and that is not plotting anything down on paper. Some writers will take pen to paper and just write; they won't look back on notes or use any inspiration for their work intentionally. They will write, and the story comes together.

Again, this method is only for some. I, for example, can't do this, and I won't start, but if you find you aren't a plotter, then this method is for you.

Method 2 - Mind Map
Mind Maps can either be used exclusively or at the start, and other methods can be used after. Whichever way you choose to use it is perfectly fine. For this article, I have come up with my own short story and shown how a mind map can be used to help plot a story and a piece of work. See below how this can be done.

But for anyone who can't see this image, I will also describe it

But for anyone who can't see this image, I will also describe it. The way to start a mind map is to start with the title of your work or, if you still need to get one, just a basic stand-in title. From this title, you should have the key things you need sprouting from it. This can include the theme, the setting, the plot, characters, pivotal scene, key information, start, middle and the ending. You can choose anything, but for my example, I have chosen these. From here, I will take even more lines from each of these, making my mind map bigger. This includes what my theme is and who my characters are. Basically, you keep expanding your mind map, and it will get bigger and bigger, and you have no limit. If you feel you need to add something, then add another line.

Method 3 - Snowflake Method
This is a very popular method of plotting, and the one most writers use is a ten-step process. I don't expect everyone to go about it in the same way, but I will outline it in its simplest form.

Step One - Premise
One-word summary, otherwise known as the premise. This can be seen as the middle piece of the snowflake with everything developing around it.

Step Two - Expanding
This is adding detail to your premise by adding in the significant details to be involved. You are starting the story. 

Who is involved?What is going to happen?How is it going to happen?When is this happening?Where is it taking place?Why is it happening?

This is very basic knowledge. You don't need to expand too much on it. Like the question Who? You need the protagonist and antagonist's names. And then what is the start, middle and end of the story? A sentence for each is fine for now.

Step Three - Characters
Make your characters come to life. What is your main character's growth going to be? Why is this going to be the main character? You can keep building as you go, but having a base structure for all involved characters is good to get started.
For these characters, you need the following:

• Their Name and a description of their look and characteristics.
• The motivation that drives them and the overall goal that the character is achieving.
• All Major or Minor setbacks from them achieving the goal.
• The basic storyline for the character.

All these parts of the character don't need to be explained in the book, but you need to know them so you can build up the character in a concise way.

Step Four - Build on your expansion
Build even more on your who, what, how, when, where and why. You have no limits; you build on it how you want and wherever you feel you need it. This is you creating the story you want to write.

Step Five - Deepen your character
You now need to focus on your main character, and you need to develop them to make them almost like a real person. You need to know it inside and out and build it up to create something compelling. You can also do this with any important character in the story. The closer you feel to knowing the character, the closer your readers will be.

Step Six - Create the storyline
It would be best if you expanded on your start, middle and end. You need to make sure you have the storyline ready to be written. You can only start once you know what is going to be the Major plot point, and having a start, middle, and end means that you can't get lost when writing, as you have a basic structure already ready to be built on.
*Now, the next few steps are entirely optional. You can start writing after getting to step six, but if you want to flesh things out even more, then the next few steps show this.

Step Seven - Character Expansion
This is the last step in expanding your character to the extreme. This can include and not be limited to:

• Date of Birth
• Likes and dislikes
• Hobbies/interests (Things they do outside the story and inside the story for fun)
• Quirks
• Backstories
• Relationships with other characters

You can add as much or as little as you want. They are your characters, and you choose how much you want to know about them.

Step Eight - Chapter Structure
You are setting out an essential structure for each chapter and a description of any pivotal scene needed in that chapter. You are basically writing the base level of each of your chapters.

Step Nine - Adding depth
From your chapter structure, you build and add as much detail as you will need for that chapter, and you develop and build on it until you are happy with what will happen in that chapter.

Step Ten - Your first draft
The last step is to take everything you have and write your first draft.

Method 4 - Sticky Notes

Sticky notes can be used in any way you want. It's really up to you how you use them, so the world of using sticky notes is your oyster, but I have given a simple structure of it below.

1.    Get a pack of sticky notes
2.    You write your premise, title and or theme
3.    Place this note somewhere important and easy to look at.
4.    Then, start to focus on the different elements:

• Plot
• The World / Setting / Theme
• Chapter ideas
• Characters
• All ideas and notes
• All extras

5.    Now write

Again, these can be used however you like, and there is no template. Just grab some sticky notes and write whatever you want.

Overall, there are many different plotting methods, more than I have even written. No one way is the right way, and you may find doing a little bit of all of them is the best way for you. Or you may find your way of doing it. I almost follow the snowflake method, but I have adapted it to suit me better.

At the end of the day, plotting is very particular, and no matter what you do, you will have a story by the end.