10 Book Recommendations

By JohannaHefer

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one."

George R.R. Martin

"Why do you read so much?"

A question my kids liked to ask me when they were younger. Indeed, a good question! My answer to this question was very simple:

"Reading took me on adventures and made me the person I am today." And to add to that:

"It makes you smart."

It's true what George R.R. Martin said: A reader does live a thousand lives. By reading you travel the world without leaving your home. You get to experience different countries and cultures. Reading is a journey through someone else's eyes. For a while, reading takes you away from your reality and puts you into a new world filled with fantasies.

Apart from going on a new adventure with every book you read, reading does make you the person you are and it makes you smart.
In my life, I have read many books on and off Wattpad. The following list is my top 10 rated books to read:

1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The story of Mary, Colin and Dickon had me glued to my seat. I loved how their friendship grew into something special and at the same time brought healing to all of them. The story was magical, and it made me feel good. The dying garden came to life, as did the sick children. If you are looking for a feel-good story, this is the one to read.

2. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
This story was one of my prescribed books when I was in Primary School. Many moons ago. And to this day, it's still one of my favourite books. As a child, I never thought about the meaning behind the book, all I was interested in was the adventures it took me on. I always wished that I could go on an adventurous journey with Lemuel Gulliver. I wanted to visit Lilliput. Just saying the name makes me excited. I wanted to meet the teeny-tiny humans and visit Brobdingnag to see the giant. I wanted to feel what it felt like to be on Laputa, the flying Island. And finally, I would have loved to fly on one of the flying horses in Houyhnhnms. If you are looking for a ridiculously funny book, this is the one to read.

3. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
I read this book before it was made into a movie. I am glad I read the book first because the movie didn't do it justice at all. This is the first story I read three times. I was mesmerised by the characters and the fantasy world that was created. The conflict between Melanie and Wanderer had me glued to my seat. This must be the first story that I voted for the 'antagonist'. An antagonist in the sense that a parasitic alien implanted itself in a human. If you're looking for a good sci-fi alien book, this is the one to read.

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I just loved this series. I watched the first movie, and after that, decided to read the books first as it was published. In this story I couldn't decide who should end up with Katniss, as I loved both Peeta and Gale. This trilogy is packed with action, adventure and a lot of love, sacrifice, teamwork and survival. All the things people strive for every day. If you're looking for an action-packed love story, this trilogy is the one to read.

5. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James.
This series evoked mixed emotions. A taboo topic at its best for some people. I bought the books to see what the hype was about. And man, did this have me blushing all the way through. I skipped over a lot of scenes only to realise I had to go back and read it again to get to the plot of the story. Apart from being R-rated, this story was an amazing telling of how love can conquer any demons. Although, unrealistic at times, I did find it really interesting. To me, what stood out was: you can choose to be bitter or better. Christian Grey chose to be better than the circumstances he was born into and became the better man. Whereas Jack Hyde chose to be the bitter man and blamed his past for the man he became. If you're looking for a guilty pleasure, embarrassing book you don't want to admit reading, this is the one to read.

6. The Boy in the woods by Katherine Arlene
One of the first stories I read on Wattpad was The boy in the woods. Needless to say, this was the start of my Wattpad journey. It's the story about a girl who goes to live with her uncle after her parents die in a car accident. While exploring the woods she stumbles upon a boy in the woods. The story is about the two of them discovering each other and the journey their relationship takes them on. If you're looking for a great coming-of-age story, this is definitely the story to read.

7. Storm and Silence by Rob Thier
This is a Historical Fiction Saga. Lilly Linton goes to work for Mr. Ambrose. She dresses as a man because at that time in history women stayed home, cooked and cleaned and raised the kids. There are seven books in this saga and never once does it disappoint. If you're looking for a well-written funny series, these are the books to read. It keeps you glued to your seat from start to finish.

8. Dark Ritual Series by Catrina Burgess
This Paranormal series had me glued to my seat. If you're not a scaredy cat like me you can read it at night. I decided to read this in daylight where it was safe. I read the series before it was published. The series has returned to Wattpad, which is great news, because I want to read it again, most probably during the day, lol. The story follows Colina, a healer that seeks the help of Luke, a dark mage, to train her to be a death dealer, to avenge the death of her loved ones and to survive the attacks on her life. If you're looking for a story with demons, the dead, ouija boards and possessions, this is the series to read.

9. Creatures of the Night by cloudedwithstories
This is a Wattpad Original story. On Milena's twentieth birthday, she is going to join her village hunters to help protect them from the creatures of the night. Something happens that makes her question what she was taught her whole life. I really enjoyed this story because it's not your typical werewolf story. If you're looking for a dark mystery, this is the story to read.

10. The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles
This story is now published and has been turned into a movie. There are 3 books and movies in this series. I read the story on Wattpad before it was published. Elle and Lee's best friend relationship changes when they run a kissing booth at their school carnival. She kisses Lee's brother, whom she had a crush on forever, and this is the start of lies and difficulties in their relationship. This Young Adult Romance is a must-read.
How many of these stories have you read? What was your favourite journey? And do you have any books to suggest? I would love to hear about them.