Agony Author

By ShyGuySamurai

I really want to get into writing, but I have no idea where to even start! What's your advice to help me get started?
Simple: Ask yourself what you want to write. Every story starts with an idea, and every idea leads to another. It doesn't have to be profound or well-organized. Just test the waters a bit. Spread your wings. This is the time to really get to know your creative process. Do you like planning things out or writing without a plan? Do you prefer developing characters or plots first? Writing is a skill that needs to be developed, and the only way you do that is by trying. Just remember, there is no right way to write. Find your creative process and own it.

My creative process always starts with something random. It could be a song or a dream I had. This sparks the beginnings of the world I want, and that's when I start thinking about my main character. I create their relationships I'm a sucker for found family, so it's typically platonic/familial relationships soon after since character relationships are extremely important to me. It usually stops there for a while until I gather more inspiration that fits, slowly building that world until I have enough to write about. All of this goes in a document, so even if it sits for years untouched, it's still there when I think about it again. My family calls me a lore goblin for a reason.

I just went through a really bad breakup, and now I feel like I can't write romance the way I used to. Is there anything I can do to start writing romance again?
So sorry to hear that. It never hurts to take a break. If anything, this sounds like a perfect time to try out a new genre or create a story that doesn't have romance at all. Maybe try focusing on other personal connections like platonic and familial love. But in the end, is it really such a bad thing you can't write or see romance the way you used to? As you grow and experience life, everything changes bit by bit, and it's perfectly ok to feel loss for a time that's moved on. Use that. Write yourself a happy ending or ponder how it has changed you. Explore those feelings through your writing. Perhaps you'll find healing through it. And be gentle to yourself as you process these emotions.

I really like fantasy books, so I really wanted to write my own, but I am struggling with worldbuilding. Do you have any advice on how I go about creating a world?
Three things: Location, people, and conflict. Those are the absolute basics of worldbuilding. Start with the little things essential to the story, like important locations, your main cast of characters, and what trials your character(s) is/are facing. This then can become landscapes, towns, and societal rivalries. Or, if you're not quite sure what the little details are yet, you could start big. Regions, races, and governments, for example.

Need a visual? Try making a map on Inkarnate or a map generator. Have trouble keeping everything organized? Programs like World Anvil and Campfire's got your back. And no need to have everything planned out if that's what's stopping you. You can flesh out everything later.

I am a rubbish speller, and my grammar isn't the best, but I really want to write. Is there any point in trying?
That is the beauty of autocorrect and writing programs. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't used Grammarly or something similar at least once. With programs like Grammarly, ProWritingAid, Hemingway, etc., you no longer need to worry about those things. Better yet, the more you write, the better you'll get in both spelling and grammar.

I can never finish a story. I seem to always get bored halfway through writing. Do you have any techniques to help me stay engaged with my own work?
There are many ways to deal with this. Some push onward, accepting they won't be happy with it until they pick up steam again. Others skip ahead to write a scene they're excited to write. If you're anything like me, you might put that story down, either temporarily or forever. But never delete your drafts. Some of my best stories are the result of 2-3 failed drafts mashed together, and I have an extensive library of inspiration if I find myself stuck.