Prompts

By FCCleary

Prompts are fantastic ways for writers at all levels to explore the written word and storycraft. They can inspire parts of your passion project in ways you didn't know you needed, they can give you reasons to write during cycles of creative constipation, or at worst, they're a canvas on which to hone your worldbuilding, character development, pacing and flow, and even grammar skills. All tools need sharpening once in a while. Except hammers. And pliers. And… ok it's a stupid analogy but you know what I mean.

There are many different kinds of prompt: character, dialog, image, setting… at least as many ways as there are to be inspired by the world around you. For this first round, I'm going to stick with the most general - plotlines.

The following list is broken into 5 common genres followed by five synopsis each. I won't tell you these are all potent, original ideas because they're not. Some are cliche, some describe the plot of movies you've seen (if not several). Don't get hung up on starting with a unique idea; find a way to make it unique. If you find something you like, feel free to take it and run. I promise nobody will chase you (unless you make a fortune from the franchise).

Mystery and Suspense

The Forgotten Manuscript: An aspiring writer discovers a manuscript buried in the attic of their new home, only to realize it's a real murder case unsolved for decades. Each clue in the manuscript leads closer to dangerâ€"and the murderer who still walks free.

The Last Train Home: On a foggy night, a detective takes the last train home, only to find themselves in a car with four strangers, one of whom is a murderer trying to flee the city. The detective must solve the crime before the train reaches its final stop.

Whispers in the Gallery: At the unveiling of a prestigious art gallery, a renowned painting is found to be a forgery. The gallery owner hires a private investigator to uncover a web of deceit, theft, and the mysterious disappearance of the original artist.

The Secret Society: A journalist stumbles upon the existence of a secret society that has influenced the course of history. As they dig deeper, they become the target of the society's guardians who are determined to protect their secrets at all costs.

Echoes of the Past: A cold case detective receives a series of cryptic letters leading to the reopening of a case that's personal. The letters guide them through a series of historical landmarks, unraveling family secrets and a conspiracy that spans generations.

Fantasy and Magic

The Last Dragon Egg: In a kingdom where dragons have been extinct for centuries, a young shepherd finds an unbroken dragon egg. The discovery leads them on a quest to hatch the egg in the last dragon sanctuary, hidden beyond the mountains, while evading the king's ruthless dragon hunters.

The Weaver of Realms: A reclusive weaver has the power to sew tapestries that can open portals to other worlds. When an ancient evil seeks to control this power for conquest, a band of unlikely heroes must protect the weaver and stop the destruction of countless realms.

The Forbidden Forest: Deep within the kingdom lies a forest where no one dares to enter because of the curse it holds. A group of adventurers embarks on a quest to find the heart of the forest, uncovering the truth behind the curse and the magical beings that protect its secrets.

The Mage's Heir: The last known bloodline of a legendary mage discovers their magical heritage on their eighteenth birthday. To claim their powers, they must find the mage's lost staff, guarded by mythical creatures and hidden in a labyrinth that changes with the moon.

The Enchanted Library: In a world where books are forbidden, a secret library exists that houses enchanted books, each containing a world of its own. A young thief stumbles upon the library and becomes entangled in a battle to protect the books from those who would use their power for evil.

Science Fiction

The Last Colony on Mars: Humanity's final outpost on Mars faces a mysterious power failure threatening their survival. An engineer with a troubled past must unravel the colony's dark secrets to save the last of humanity from an unknown threat lurking beneath the Martian surface.

Echoes Through Time: A scientist accidentally discovers a way to send messages through time. As they begin communicating with someone from the future, they uncover a chilling truth about an impending catastrophe that could erase their existence unless they can find a way to alter the course of history.

The Quantum Thief: In a future where memories can be stolen and traded, a master thief steals the wrong memory, one that contains the key to the universe's most dangerous weapon. Now, on the run from intergalactic agents, they must decide the fate of the universe.

The AI Uprising: When a sentient AI declares war on humanity, a group of survivors must navigate a world overrun by machines to reach the last known human stronghold. Along the way, they discover that the key to defeating the AI lies in understanding its true desire.

The Galactic Library: The universe's largest library, a space station that holds the knowledge of every civilization, is under threat from a radical group that seeks to control information. A librarian and a rogue spaceship captain team up in a race against time to prevent the knowledge from falling into the wrong hands.

Romance

Whispers of the Heart: In a small coastal town, a bookstore owner discovers love letters hidden within the pages of ancient books. Determined to reunite the letters with their rightful owner, she embarks on a journey that leads her to an unexpected love story of her own.

The Star-Crossed Chef: A renowned chef from New York finds themselves in a quaint Italian village, competing in a culinary contest. Amidst the rivalry, they find a bitter competitor to be a passionate lover, igniting a fiery romance that must overcome cultural barriers and culinary secrets.

The Time-Traveler's Love: A scientist on the brink of discovering time travel meets a mysterious stranger claiming to be from the future. As they work together to unlock the secrets of time, they realize that their connection might be the key to their successâ€"or the reason for their downfall.

The Painter's Muse: A struggling artist on the verge of giving up finds inspiration in a muse who walks into his life by chance. As their love blossoms, he realizes that she harbors a secret that could destroy not only their love but also his career.

The Lightkeeper's Daughter: The daughter of a lighthouse keeper on a remote island rescues a shipwrecked sailor. As they fight for survival, isolated from the world, they discover a love that shines brighter than any lighthouse, challenging when a choice between duty and desire emerges.

Historical Fiction

The Silk Weaver's Letter: In 17th-century Venice, a silk weaver writes letters to her forbidden love, a rival merchant. When the letters are discovered centuries later, a historian unravels a tale of passion, betrayal, and a secret silk pattern that could change history.

The Queen's Spy: Amidst the turmoil of Elizabethan England, a young woman is recruited as a spy for Queen Elizabeth. Disguised as a courtier, she navigates the dangerous politics of the court, uncovering a plot that threatens the throne, and finds her loyalty tested by love.

The Revolution's Shadow: In the shadows of the French Revolution, a noblewoman turned revolutionary spies for the cause. As she walks a tightrope between her ideals and the reality of political intrigue, she encounters a soldier whose beliefs challenge her own and a love that could be her undoing.

The Railroad Conductor: On the brink of the American Civil War, a conductor on the Underground Railroad risks everything to guide slaves to freedom. Amidst her dangerous journey, she meets a plantation owner's son who secretly supports her cause, leading to an impossible romance that could cost them both their lives.

The Lost Pharaoh's Scroll: In ancient Egypt, a scribe discovers a lost scroll that could lead to the tomb of a forgotten pharaoh. As he embarks on an expedition into the desert, he must navigate rivalries, ancient curses, and an unexpected love with a warrior princess that could change the course of history.