Sad Eyes

*Julia*

[Hey Lady! I know it's been a minute. We just got back from our cruise. No internet. Which was kinda nice. Anyways, I just wanted to check in. I know you can't say much, but I saw the news online. Is it TRUE?!? I hope it's true so I can live vicariously through you!]

I read the text from Chloe while rushing to get ready. Trisha just told me Nate is on for a session tonight, and I have only one hour to pull myself together. I don't have time to get into it with Chloe right now. I can't anyway. We can't talk about anything related to America's Voice while the next season is still being filmed. So, talking about Nate is off-limits as well.

While straightening my hair, I think back to my best friend. She's been my saving grace. When everything fell apart with Luke, she let me take over her guest bedroom. Her husband, Matt, has been great about it too, but I don't think Chloe gave him much of a choice in the matter. It was hard at first, with Matt and Luke also being friends. It was always Luke and Julia, Matt and Chloe. Funny how one event can change everything.

I put on my pink and grey plaid shirt, a pair of skinny jeans, and throw on my vans before rushing out the door. I'm ten minutes early to the studio, and I don't see Nate's car yet. I take the time now to send Chloe a quick text, aware of the three hour time difference.

[Hi! I miss you! You need to send me pics of your cruise! Tell Matt and the kids I say hi. Love youuu!]

I purposely don't answer her question.

Nate pulls up next to me, and I shut off my engine. I need to make sure we can behave and get through this practice. Tonight will be the test.

I doubt Nate will want to do anything anyway, I know today he was seeing his sister in the hospital. I want to know how it went. If his sister is OK. If he is OK. But I want to wait for him to bring it up, in case it's something he doesn't want to talk about.

I watch as he gets out of his SUV, wearing tan pants and a bright blue polo shirt that makes his eyes look an even deeper blue than I've ever seen. I hop out and make sure to keep my distance.

"You ready for another torturous practice, Moretti??" Nate smirks as we walk into the building together.

"Always." Practice. That is why we are here.

We walk through the quiet lobby. It looks like only a few people are left in the building now. Evenings like these weird me out, in a big building that's usually loud and busy, now silent and still.

Nate lets me walk into the room first. I hang my purse up and turn to go sit at my usual spot on the couch.

The minute Nate closes the door, he grabs me, spins me around and pins me to the door. I gasped at the sudden movement.

"Nate!"

My eyes are wide in surprise and he gives me a devilish smile.
Without saying a word, He leans his body into me and starts kissing my neck. My eyes close instantly at his touch, already feeling like I'm melting into him. How does he do it? I have to focus. We need to be careful. This is not careful. I pry my eyes open.

"Nate, we can't.."

The words come out of my mouth but my hands do the opposite. I pull on his shirt to untuck it and slide my hands under, dragging them up and down his sides. I can feel his muscles tense up and he lets out a small hum in approval at my touch.

"Just for a minute, doll."

His mouth doesn't leave my neck while he replies. "We can, Just for a minute."