No Ordinary Love

*Julia*

I didn't sleep at all last night, so instead of going downstairs for breakfast, I decided to order breakfast to the room. I really don't feel like seeing James this morning either. He didn't help at all last night. He just watched as the security guard pushed me up to my room.

Twenty minutes go by, and I hear a knock. I swing the door open, knowing it's room service with my food.

"Room service," James says out loud but then quietly adds, "We need to talk." There he is at my door with my tray, well after his night shift is over... and he is never the one to deliver room service. He did this once before but said it was because they were short staffed. What's today's excuse? I look around but don't see Paul. Maybe he only was here overnight?

"Paul is gone for a few minutes. But he will be back." He rushes past me into my room without invitation, which is so unlike him. I close the door and swing around, clearly pissed.

"James, get out! You can't be in here."

"Shhhh, keep your voice down."

"For God's sakes, James, leave. This is the last thing I need right now." I blurt out, holding my forehead, feeling the tension in my head start.

"It's the only way. You sit and eat. Please. Just give me five minutes."

Beyond frustrated, I sit on the bed and throw my hair up in a pony tail, mad at him that he's here and embarrassed that I'm in just a long t-shirt I wore to bed. One of Luke's at that.

"What the hell do you want?"

James puts the tray on the bed, but I've suddenly lost my appetite and push it aside, waiting for him to talk. My brain goes into overdrive of how this doesn't look good, and, oh my God, if Nate were to show up. All hell would break loose.

"Why was Paul escorting you up last night?" He cuts right to it. How does James know Paul, anyway?? I should b the one asking the questions, not James. Once again, nothing about this situation makes any sense to me.

"How do you know Paul?" I question, now giving him my full attention so he can explain everything that happened last night. Hopefully.

"Has someone been following you or harassing you?? Aside from last night?? "James doesn't sit on my bed but pulls a chair over next to it and sits down.

"James, answer my question. How the hell do you know Paul?!"

"Julia, I've lived here all 36 years of my life, I know everyone," he states matter-of-factly.

"I've worked in this hotel for years and have had many encounters with celebrities, or people linked to them, that need to hide out. Or are in danger and need security.
I have yet to see security actually outside their door... overnight like that."

He's clearly talking about me. But I'm not a celebrity, I'm not a loved one. I don't need protection for myself. What I needed to do was protect Nate's reputation and career. Now, with my name plastered all over the news and internet because of this stupid break in...who knows what's going to happen.

"I know Paul. We go way back from when he worked with Nate's band. The dude practically trained me on what to do without hesitation, and I know  not to say a word or ask questions. I do more than just work at the damn front desk."

I must have a dumbfounded look on my face by the way he continues to explain. James leans foreword in his chair to get closer, somewhat whispering.

"Listen, Paul pays me on the side to work the shift I work. I help him out by keeping my mouth shut, and he helps me with a little side cash. We have a good system." He says it so quickly that I almost had to second guess myself on what I heard. "I don't necessarily enjoy seeing him because that means something is wrong."