Emerald's Trap

I don't think so, Alice said. But I think if someone wants something, that thing will be what makes him happy. But if he exchanges his smile for it, how will it make him happy?

What are you silly girl talking about? Did you do something weird with some weird guy?

No no, I just heard something that I don't understand, so I was trying to ask you, she replied. Aunty give this demonic wood comb to the emperor, use it to comb his hair so that he can relax and leave me alone for a while.

The empress nodded with a smile, took the comb, stood up and left. 

Some people have smiles but don't want to while some want to but can never smile again. If only I could give you half of my smile, Alice thought to herself.

 The heavenly empress took the comb to the emperor and showed it to him.

I've seen Alice, she went to the demon realm not for fun but to find this for you, she said showing him the comb.

If it were in normal times, she was being commendable but the war between the immortals and demons is about to start... 

I understand, the heavenly empress cut him short. You have to teach her a lesson.

Then she started walking up to the throne and walked to his back and started combing his hair.

The blood of the phoenix has been stimulated, the emperor continues. If it is stimulated again her power with stand with high immortals, if stimulated for the third time, she will come out of nirvana and destroy the three realms. But now we don't have many chances.

Your majesty, trust Stanley.

Stanley is the red sun god I trust the most and the successor to the throne, but now I haven't heard from him, the emperor stated.

Don't worry, Stanley won't fail us, the empress assured him.

I hope so, the emperor nodded. 

 In the devil clan, Mark was paraded in the streets as he was being sent to the demon realm and people couldn't close their mouths as gossips filled the air.

Isn't that Mark the prince of the wolf segment? One devil asked.

I heard he was arrogant and tried to get the phoenix ashes and angered the demons, another one chipped in.

Now he is being sent to the demon realm as punishment, said another one. I'm afraid he will never return.

On the sidelines, Zina and her brother watched on as he was taken away. They wore sad faces. At least Zina's brother was his playmate since little but they never held any grudge against each other, even if they aren't close friends. He also felt bad for his sister as he knows she loves him dearly. Mark on the other hand just moved on not minded what they said nor did he behave like he was in trouble. 

 In the mortal world where Linda's mother and brother lived, the crow arrived at their compound and threw down the letter on top of where her brother Donald was playing. He saw the letter from fall pick it up and read and immediately knew it was from his sister.

Mother! Mother! He shouted as he ran into the house and called out his mother. Mom see that crow on the tree, it brought us a letter from sister.

His mother immediately covered his mouth and drew him inside shutting the door. As if she knew spies might be watching their house as Linda is being wanted. But unluckily, a spy already saw what happened and ran to deliver a report to Emerald. 

 The crow brought the letter to Linda's home in the between land, unaware it was being followed. Immediately it landed on the house's window, Emerald struck it dead with her spiritual power.

 The next morning, Linda woke to a normal day but late as Stanley had already gotten up and left for the market. She opened the door and saw the lady who helped them went they first came here. She seemed to be packing up the contents of her basket from the wet floor.

Aunty, what are you doing here?

Uh! I fell.

So sorry.

It's nothing, the woman said. How is the dumb guy? Hope the herbs are working? 

Oh! He was able to get out of bed last night and this morning he has left for the market.

Okay, that's good to know. Take the honey, it was specially made by me and very delicious.

Thank you so much aunty, Linda thanked her and took it.

Then the woman left and as Linda was going inside, she saw someone lying on the floor unconsciously. She ran up to the person and saw it was non other than Emerald. She as someone with a soft good heart didn't hesitate to take her indoors and lay her on the bed after giving her some herbs. After sometime, she coughed and woke up. Linda ran to her to see how she was.

You are awake? Linda asked.

Why am I here? Emerald asked back, pretending not to know.

You fainted at the door. Why are you here she asked her to get more details.

The demons raided the academy that day since you left. The government thought you were seducing the public and secretly caollaborating with the demons. So your mother and brother have been arrested. The lady I sent to watch over your house brought me the letter, so I followed the crow here but unluckily, I met a mountain devil but I managed to escape. Emerald tried her best to flawlessly narrate her forged ordeal.

You have suffered, Linda commended her.

But there is something urgent, Emerald continued. 

What is it?

My father told me the government will behead them today by noon.

Linda was shocked and her anger rising. She immediately stood up to leave.

Let me go with you, Emerald offered.

Emerald you are still recovering so just rest here and when teacher comes back just tell him that I went to my hometown to celebrate my mother's birthday.

Teacher, is he here too? She asked as her eyes brightened up.

Yes. Don't let him know what I went to do, he is sick and can't bear to have worries.

Okay.

Then she immediately disappeared. Unknown to her, it was a trap. 

Emerald stood up and wandered around the house and saw the carved statue on the table.

Is this Linda? She asked herself. It seems master has fallen for Linda, she thought. She squeezed the statue tightly in her palms with anger till her hands were red.