How to MAKE THE PERFECT CHARACTER

→ There are a few key points to making the perfect character(s).

Number ONE: 

The thing that entices reader is the fact that they can relate to the characters; feel their pain and struggles. Many things that annoy me is when we have perfect people. Let me explain this once and once only please: NO ONE IN THIS WORLD IS PERFECT AND NO ONE EVER WILL BE!

Now, that is a sad truth. Even if you're writing science fiction, or even fanfiction, there is no reason why the characters should be absolutely perfect. I will touch on two ways to make your characters both ‘perfectinside and out. In the most flawed way possible, of course.

— Let's start with the outside. Let me give you an idea of what would be a bad idea:

His eyes were the perfect shade of blue, his hair blonde and wavy. His body was muscled, hard and firm. He was way taller than me. He was perfect in every way.

Don't tell me you have never done this. This is how MOST people start to develop their form of writing. Everyone has a different style. I remember I used to describe everyone as perfect, but everyone has their flaws, whether or not it is mentioned. Let me use Flowers in the Attic by V. C Andrews for an example. Catherine Dollanger was a young girl who was conceived by her mother and father, who were, (spoiler alert), half-niece and half uncle. Now, if this was real life, those children would have a large chance of ending up with disabilities due to the lack of variety in their genes.

In the story, Catherine, her older brother Christopher, and baby siblings Carrie and Cory were described as flawless and beautiful. This, by all means, is not a way to present characters.

The characters were referred to as Dresden Dolls and had impeccable flaxen hair, and ocean blue eyes. Their skin was pale, but could tan very nicely. The men's bodies were very well built and the women's bodies were curvaceous but small in the waist. NO REAL PERSON IS THIS WAY ANDREWS! As much as I loved your sick and twisted book, this is not how real people are. Of course, their horrible personalities made up for the lack of physical flaws.

In reality people have scars, one foot bigger than the other, eyes that seem too small for their faces, too big of an upper lip, freckles everywhere, etc.

A good character will have a balance of good looks and faults or imperfections.

Now, there is also inside faults, called PERSONALITY.

Personality is made of many different facets that reflect who they are. Now if someone is trusting, kind, helpful, cheery, then that is the concoction for a bomb. Real people are not that way and have emotions that go against who they are sometimes. People get jealous, angry, and sad, despite their usual characteristics.

Another example is Naruto. He has as many good aspects as he does bad. He is rambunctious, loud, disrespectful in many cases, and competitive. Not only that he's kind, understanding, sympathetic, and gullible. He has lots of trust and love for his friends, and never goes back on his word.

That is what I call a perfect CHARACTER.

A character should also tell how he is by using mannerisms. Like if someone fidgets a lot, it tells that they are impatient or nervous.

I hoped I helped you lot on how to make good characters!

~ Absolutely_Positive ♥

E D I T E D 10/3/16