MORE GORY Random Writing Tips and Tricks!

-

1). Read as much and as often as you can. Remember, every writer is a reader first.

2). Keep a journal or notebook handy at all times so you can jot down all of your brilliant ideas. If you've got a smartphone, make sure it's loaded with a more taking app. A voice recording app also comes in handy for recording notes and ideas.

3). Pretend you are a scientist. Dissect your character into little pieces, starting at the heart and ending in the brain.

Get to know him!

4). Be observant. The people and activities that surround you will provide you with great inspiration for characters, plots, and themes.

5). Grammar: learn the rules and then learn how to break them effectively.

6). You've got to be focused, motivated, coherent, creative, concise, ruthless, and meticulous -- all at once.

7). Listen to classical music.

8). When writing the gore, don't be afraid to give all the gritty details. Don't water it down. If you're writing and something seems too gross, keep going. If someone dies, mention how they release their bowels. Talk about the stench of a rotting body.

Describe the horror on a person's face as they're dying. Write about the sound of crunching bones and all the sounds that make us squirm. The first key to gore is detail.

9). The second key to gore is sympathy for the victim. Make your reader focus on the victim of the gore rather than the perpetrator. Write mostly about what happens to the victim.

10). Gore your writing should scare, disturb, and disgust you.

11). Good horror fiction, paradoxically, requires you to be both as fearless and as afraid as possible when you're writing it. It's an intense experience and certainly not for everyone.

12). Tap into the most disturbing part of your brain and unleash it for all to see.

13). Characterization.

There isn't enough characterisation. Or, to put it another way, the writer hasn't made the reader care about and empathise with the characters enough to make it genuinely distressing and horrifying when they are placed in threatening situations.

14). AVOID CLICHÉS

15). Write a catchy first paragraph to capture readers.

16). "Your job, as a writer of short fiction-whatever your beliefs-is to put complex personalities on stage and let them strut and fret their brief hour. Perhaps the sound and fury they make will signify something that has more than passing value-that will, in Chekhov's words, "make [man] see what he is like."

-Rick Demarnus

17). Choose the point of view that will best suit your story.

18). Write meaningful dialogue.

19). When developing character, make sure you treat me them like children, and raise them the way they should be raised.

20). Make sure the look of your character match the personality.

21). Eat. Sleep. TV. Write.

• • •

Those were MORE GORY tips and tricks.

Hope you enjoyed!