Chapter 29: The Escape Begins

A/N

Congrats to my book-cover contest winner! The winner is @sprinkleofhayat.

Her entry is displayed above. All the entries submitted was amazing and it was hard to choose, but I finally decided a winner. Sprinkleofhayat is an author of some amazing books and my favourite should be Operation: Dard and Devotion. I am in love with the book and it deserves much more reads. Keep it up ;)

P.S Should I do the twenty facts thingy? I was tagged a couple times long ago, but didn't do it xD I guess I should do it now, though I forgot who tagged me.

"Maybe if I do a small good deed, I can change."

~Yusuf

*******

Mariam's POV

*******

As Yusuf walked away, I looked up at the stairs, deciding I better find Maymoona. But instead, I saw Adam standing at the top, looking down at me.

"Oh." I utter. He walks down the stairs, his long legs coming towards me.

"What happened?" Adam asked when he stood right in front. "Why did he let you go? What did he do?"

Damn, so much concern.

"Uh, well. He just made me change bedrooms. I'm not sleeping on the fourth floor anymore."

"Oh?" Adam raises an eyebrow.

"He's harmless."

"How the hell?" Adam reaches out a hand and lifts up my chin, examining the cut. "Harmless?" He rolled his eyes. "You have a pretty deep cut."

"It's not deep. And anyways he cleaned it."

"What?" Adam backs a step. "Mariam, you need to be careful."

"I am careful." I reply. "Why do you care anyways? If I get killed or anything, it wouldn't matter to you anyways. You don't feel anything." I was getting angry at the fact that Adam thought I'm naïve. I know what I'm doing, and I was careful. I do not trust people easily and the last thing I want is someone control my every move. I do not want to be Adam's puppet.

I peered into Adam's eyes and saw a flicker of hurt. But I've been seeing so much things that aren't real, I guess the look on Adam's face was just my imagination.

"How do you know for sure? Have you ever been in my shoes?" He glares, his hands rolling into fists.

"No, but it's easy to tell. You're so damn calm when someone dies. For heaven's sake, you killed a human. God knows if you'll kill me if you have to." I cross my arms over my chest, wanting to shut up, but I couldn't.

"Damn it, I'm done here." Adam turns around, walking away angrily. I stood my ground, watching him as he stormed inside a hallway and disappear into the darkness. I didn't know what his problem was. He did kill a man, cannibal or not. Adam could've made him unconscious and ran away from there.

He killed him because his life was in danger. If I became a threat to Adam, obviously he wouldn't hesitate to kill me.

I sigh and begin to search for Maymoona, and found her easily as she had heard Adam's angry voice and was coming down the steps.

"Hey, what happened?" She stood in front of me with Bliquorice in her arms. I took him from her and stroked his fur.

"Nothing. Adam got mad at me for being kidnapped." I chuckled.