Chapter Forty-Two: Raw Hamburger

"I don't want it to be attributed to a loss of control on my part. When I throw you out of the window, I want there to be no doubt the act was deliberate." - Ilona Andrews, Magic Burns

Chapter Forty-Two

Ethel's POV

The witch's monster cat stared at me, small pink tongue slipping out to run along its stained lip. It perched on the chair across from me, a regal thing with its head held high and ears pricked up. Its coat was a solid charcoal, sleek and hiding lean muscles built for quick killing.

  "Gonna stare at the cat all day?" Tamal asked from beside me.

  I didn't break eye contact. "It's laughing at me."

  Tamal scoffed. "Yeah, how's that?"

  "Look at its eyes," I muttered.

  Its eyes were two narrow pools of nuclear green. Slitted pupils contracted.

  "See!" I threw a hand wildly at the cat. Tamal didn't look convinced.

  Just then the door to Annabel's office opened. When we'd arrived here Tammy had taken Del upstairs to clean up, then Constance had stolen Draven away to her office. So far it'd been incredibly quiet, but knee be damned if I heard one yell I was busting in. Since then the cat had slunk into the living room, sitting on one of the chairs. It was a good thing Tycho wasn't here or he'd be going after the annoying thing.

  Constance stepped out of the office, face twisted. She had abandoned the long cloak for a silver long sleeve dress that dusted over her fingertips and stopped a few inches before the floor, displaying the sharp toe of equestrian boots. The dark curls around her face had been pinned back, showcasing that fierce face and cruel mouth.

  "Come in." The way she said it made it seem like someone was holding a gun to her head.

  Tamal and I got up, the cat remaining seated. I think it knew if it tried to follow us I'd resort to drastic measures. Nevertheless, I kept an eye on it before Constance shut the door behind us.

  The office was large, everything painted in shades of baby pink. Annabel really did have a love for that color. Speaking of, where was the head witch for this coven? Shouldn't she have been in the meeting as well?

  A small couch took up the corner of the room, propped up in full view of a crystal clear flatscreen on CNN. A few lively plants were hung affront a shaded window, small pink buds on its branches. Besides a few scattered pictures across the walls only a desk remained, two plush seats affront it and one high-backed one behind it. Draven was lounging in the one lone chair, a chair that would've been Constance's.

  No wonder she looked seconds away from spitting fire. Draven was being a real smug little shit. Constance could threaten Draven out of her chair all she wanted but unless she had to the power to back it up the werewolf wasn't moving an inch. And boy did he look comfy.

  Tamal stood by the door, arms by his side, ready for action. All pretenses of joking gone, he looked like he was ready to eliminate any threat. His stare zeroed in on Constance.

  I took a seat at the couch, keeping Constance and the door in my line of sight. It folded under my weight with a groan. Since all the other spots were taken Constance was forced to sit at the chairs in front of the desk, like some kid that had gotten in trouble and now had to fess up to the principal. Her face burned red.

  "We have a problem."

  Draven didn't waste a second. "You have a problem."

  Constance's eyes narrowed. "From what my birdies tell me you aren't so safe yourself. Musa is out. The Tyrants are out. The Alliance is out."