Promise to Protect

A few days after the encounter with the Hound, Aurora found herself called to the Tower of the Hand. She immediately made her way there, avoiding everyone she possibly could. In the short time she'd been there, Aurora had learned not to trust anyone in the Red Keep. Aurora barely had time to knock before Ned opened the door and ushered her inside. He motioned for her to sit.

"The king is dying," he said plainly. Aurora nodded. The rumors of the king's impending death was already making its way around the Keep. "He has already made his last wishes known to me. He wishes his rightful heir to be his successor. I have learned that it is not Joffrey Baratheon, but Cersei will do everything in her power to ensure Joffrey's claim. If he is crowned, no one in the realm will be safe, least of all you."

Aurora swallowed thickly. She knew he was right. After all, she hadn't exactly made the best impression on the prince. "What does that mean for us?" Ned sighed. Even when faced with certain torment, Aurora was thinking of others. "I will do everything I can to keep you safe, but if Joffrey is crowned, I do not know for how long that will be and if anything should happen to me, Joffrey will surely have you throw back into the dungeon or worse."

The young woman's brows furrowed. Ned truly was the only person capable of protecting her from the cruelness of the people of King's Landing. "What can I do?" she asked, softly. Ned chuckled. Even when her own skin was on the line, Aurora was determined. It reminded Ned of Catelyn. "You can stay close and should something happen, you try to escape with my daughters." Aurora nodded. "Now, off with you," he ordered gently.

*time skip*

The king died not long after. Joffrey was crowned and Ned was thrown in the dungeons for treason. Cersei would not allow the Stark girls to see their father, but Aurora was sneaky. She would find a way down to the dungeons. No one really paid attention to her at night. She would sneak down, grab the keys and bring notes to Ned from his daughters. He refused to leave the cell, knowing that it would only bring danger to his girls. One night, after thanking her, Ned made her sit and listen for a moment.

"Joffrey is going to have me executed for treason if I do not confess. I must ask you to do something for me should that happen." Aurora looked at him, waiting patiently for him to go on. "Protect my daughters. They will need someone to if I am to die." Without waiting a beat, Aurora nodded. "I have to go now before the guards make their rounds." Aurora quietly left the cell and rehung the keys, jumping when a voice came from behind her.

"What are ya doin' down here, woman?" Aurora turned to find the Hound standing there, one hand on his sword and a brow cocked in curiosity. "I, uh..."Aurora couldn't seem to find her voice. The Hound simply stood there, waiting for an answer. Aurora sighed heavily and asked, "Shit. Are you going to rat me out?" Ned heard her and immediately tried to scold her for her language, but the Hound had to bite back his amusement. He didn't often hear ladies cursing.

"Are you? Are you going to tell the king I was down here?" she asked again. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she waited with bated breath. "Not this time, but if I catch ya down here again..." Aurora nodded and took off back upstairs. The Hound shook his head at the odd woman. She was unlike any woman he'd ever met before. He couldn't make up his mind if that infuriated him or amused him.

He peeked through the bars on the door of Ned's cell. " Do ya really think that little dove can protect your daughters?" Ned chuckled and replied, "Truly? No. Not alone anyway. But I know you will protect her so she can." The Hound's brows furrowed in confusion. "What makes ya think I will?" Ned looked up, meeting his gaze. "Because you are honorable, Sandor Clegane. You know as well as I that Aurora is an innocent. You will protect her from Joffrey and Cersei because it is what is right." With that, Ned turned away from the door, leaving the Hound to contemplate his words.

Honorable was never a word people associated with Sandor Clegane. Brutal. Disfigured. A Killer. Never honorable. Ned Stark was the one people saw as honorable. Still, the Hound wondered. If Ned Stark saw him this way, did others as well. Would they ever? Could someone who had newly learned of his reputation ever see him in that light? 

(a/n: I realize this chapter jumps around a little bit, but I promise it's for a reason. Plus, we got a little glimpse into the mind of Sandor Clegane.)