Death

(a/n: Hey look, it didn't take me forever to update!! Warnings for this chapter: Lots of death, mentions of blood and vomiting. And it's pretty long.)

Days went by without incident, for which Aurora was grateful. It was really the first peaceful time she'd had since she was thrust into Westeros through that damn book. Although, as the days went on and she spent more time with Sandor, the less she thought of it as a "damn book" and the more she realized it might have been a good thing.

She'd been thinking about Arya had said and realized that she did love Sandor. She loved everything about him. At first, she thought her feelings for him could have been caused by the fact that he saved her life, but those feelings had continued to grow the longer she was with him. She couldn't deny it to herself anymore. Confessing it to him was a completely different story.

Sandor had been very quiet for several days, only speaking when absolutely necessary. He knew Aurora was wondering, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything. Not with the Stark girl traveling with them. Once the girl was safe with her family, then he would talk to Aurora about what he'd overheard.

When they took a break from riding, Aurora approached Sandor. "How far until we reach the Twins?" she asked, keeping one eye on Arya. "Few hours. Hopefully we'll get there by tonight," he answered, barely even looking at her until she exhaled heavily. Then he looked down and met her green eyes. "Are we back to square one, Sandor? With you ignoring me unless I ask you a direct question?" He blinked in shock. He thought she wouldn't notice.

"Damn ya for bein' so observant," he grumbled and she laughed softly. "Why are you ignoring me, anyway?" Sandor looked into those eyes of hers and nearly grabbed her to kiss her senseless. The only thing stopping him was the girl standing just a few feet from them. "Not ignoring ya." Aurora rolled her eyes and walked away to stretch her legs a little. Sandor watched her leaving and frowned. He cursed himself for not being able to articulate what his brain and heart were saying to him.

Just as Sandor predicted, the three of them arrived at the Twins by that night. It was complete and utter chaos. Arya and Aurora rode in a wagon Sandor had hitched to Stranger, but the guards wouldn't let them through. Something was wrong, Sandor could feel it and so could Aurora. The young woman had a bad feeling about what was happening behind the walls of that castle. Apparently Arya did too since she slid off the back of the wagon and ran off.

Sandor groaned and dismounted Stranger. While he did that, Aurora got off the wagon herself and came around to Stranger. Sandor lifted her up and got on behind her. He had to get to Arya before something happened to her. "Where is she?" Sandor shook his head until he heard the sickening howl. He remembered all the Stark children had direwolves. That one was probably Robb Stark's.

Following the sound, he found Arya hiding from some Frey soldiers. They were now parading around with a wolf's head attached to a man's body. Aurora's eyes widened at the sight as Sandor quickly grabbed up Arya and practically threw her on Stranger's back with Aurora. Despite the extra weight, Stranger galloped away from the Twins quick as a flash.

Arya curled into Aurora and sobbed silently into her chest as the older woman held her. The girl cried until she had no more tears to shed and she fell asleep leaning against Aurora. Sandor stopped Stranger and the three of them rested there for the night. Sandor kept watch, refusing to sleep in case any Frey soldiers had noticed their presence in the Twins. He gazed over at Aurora who slept with Arya in her arms. The young girl was clutching onto Aurora as if she would disappear. The sight would have been endearing if not for the circumstances that lead to it. Sandor wondered just how much more the two females would be able to handle.

A few days went by without Arya speaking. It worried Aurora, but at the same time, she understood the girl needed to grieve. Finally, one day she spoke again. "When do you think I could get a horse?" Aurora blinked in disbelief and Sandor chuckled. "Girl wants a pony?" Arya scoffed. "Girl wants to get away from your stench." This made Aurora chuckle and Sandor scowled. "You do smell a bit," she whispered with a smile to show she meant no harm.

"There's an inn. We should stop," Arya said, interrupting them. Aurora looked up and saw that Arya was right. There was an inn. "We don't have any coin," Sandor told her. "You didn't steal anything from Joffrey before you left?" Aurora sighed heavily. No conversation between these two ever ended well. "I'm not a thief," Sandor said simply making Aurora smile. "You kill people but you won't steal?" Sandor shrugged. "Man's got ta have a code."

Arya rolled her eyes and slid down off Stranger. "Arya!" Aurora called and Sandor stopped the horse with a huff. The two adults dismounted Stranger and followed after Arya, hiding in the bushes. "I know that man. His name's Polliver. He killed Lommy." Aurora's brows furrowed as Sandor asked what a Lommy was. Arya explained Lommy was her friend and, after some argument between the two, the small company wandered into the inn.

Once inside, Aurora was instantly uncomfortable. The men were staring at her as if she were a piece of meat. She stayed as close to Sandor as possible. Even with her knowledge of self defense, Aurora knew there was no way for her to overpower all the men in the tavern. Sandor sensed her discomfort and kept her close. Aurora was thankful he did because, before she knew what was happening, swords were drawn and a fight broke out.

Sandor pushed Aurora out of the way, trying to protect her. Blood was everywhere and bodies were falling. Aurora saw one sneaking up behind Arya and, without thinking Aurora picked up a sword where one man had dropped it and ran the assailant through. He fell to the ground and Aurora stifled a scream. Dropping the sword, she looked down at her blood soaked hands and began to shake.

"Aurora?" Sandor's voice was uncharacteristically soft. She gazed up at him, still shaking like a leaf. Sandor took a step toward her but she held up a bloodied hand and backed away from him. She turned on her heel and ran outside, Sandor close behind. She ran to the bushes and immediately proceeded to spew the few contents of her stomach. Sandor ran a hand over her back as she vomited.

When she finished, Aurora backed away from Sandor again. His brows furrowed in confusion as he took in the fear in her gaze. "I-I killed someone..."she whispered. Sandor grunted and replied, "Yeah, ya did. Ya had no choice. Ya were protectin' the girl." Aurora's lip began to tremble. "It doesn't matter! I killed someone, Sandor!" She pushed passed him and over to Stranger. Sandor watched in awe as this woman, who had been tortured and humiliated by the most terrible people in Westeros, sobbed over killing a man who would have possibly raped and killed her.

Aryacame out of the inn, her sword now attached to her hip. "Is Auroraalright?" Sandor looked down at the girl before returning his gaze to thewoman he'd come to care for. "She will be." Without another word,Sandor approached Aurora cautiously. "Are ya riding with me or with thegirl?" he asked. Aurora didn't answer. Sandor sighed before reaching intoher bag and ripping a piece of her shirt off. He used it as a cloth to cleanthe blood from her hands. "You'll be alright, little dove," hewhispered. Aurora looked up at him with tears still in her eyes. When Sandorfinished his task, Aurora threw her arms around him and pulled him close,sobbing into his shoulder.