Chapter One-Part One

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself to the service of others."

(Mahatma Gandhi)

Seoul,Two weeks later

Seoul,
Two weeks later.

   The cold weather only served to bring more harm than good to her frail body as she took small steps towards the hospital in front of her. She had always dreaded winter ever since she began to have complications in her body. Her limbs especially, couldn't take on the cold for too long as it would hurt so bad if she stayed outside for more than a minute. Her hands wouldn't stop trembling despite the fact that she had worn over two layers of thick cotton gloves. The red scarf over her neck was suffocating her more than to keep her warm, and three layers of extra clothing around her body were a total failure.

   For every small step she took, she gasped for air. She was just too tired to go on, but the urge to see her granddaughter was what kept her going. Never mind all the pain that was troubling her, as long as she could see her granddaughter, it was all worth it. Very nearly there now, she told herself as she took a glance at the large white structure in front if her. There was no mistake, it was the correct building. She was lucky that by the time she reached the pedestrian crossing, the pedestrian lights had turned from red to green, and so she crossed the road following a large crowd in front of her towards Haesung Hospital.

   When she was a few metres away from the main entrance, her body was all but aching really badly. Her limbs were extremely tired by then, and her back pain was acting up. She was panting heavily, and when her head started to swing, she told herself to stop for a moment to catch her breath. An incoming ambulance caught her attention. As soon as the ambulance stopped at the emergency bay, paramedics got out and wheeled out a patient to the medical team standing by. She watched the medical team in action with awe, and imagined that her granddaughter was among the team too, saving people's lives and bringing joy to their hearts.

   The thought of her granddaughter elevated her spirits, and in and instant the pain and fatigue that she was experiencing moments ago just went away in a puff. She felt refreshed and alive, and with a big smile on her face, she started walking towards the main entrance.

   However, her mind was so preoccupied with the thoughts of her granddaughter that she failed to see a fast-moving white Hyundai car heading dangerously towards her.

*****

   Kang Mo Yeon only had herself to blame.

   Today was definitely a bad day for her from the start. First, the alarm didn't ring that morning, all because of her clumsiness for not charging her phone, whose life was at a very low 1%, before she went to bed after a tiring day yesterday. By the time she got up, it was already five minutes past nine according to the table clock, and so she got up and quickly dressed up for work. Definitely no breakfast for her today, so she might have to hold out until lunch break.