Chapter Three-Part Five

"War is easy and peace is hard. Perhaps that is why dictators live so long."

(Yoo Si Jin)

Haesung Hospital

   As Mo Yeon continued to monitor Yoon Mi's progress, suddenly, the telephone in the operating room rang. The doctors, initially stunned slightly by the sudden ring, calmed themselves as they continued with the surgery while a nurse went and answered the call.

   Mo Yeon kept her head focused on the job, ignoring the talking. Sweat still continued to trickle down her face despite the fact that the room was well-ventilated, and she began to feel uncomfortable under the surgical garb. Shaking that sensation off her mind, she forced herself to hold on a few moments longer. However, nothing could prepare her for what came next.

   "Kang-sem, you are needed in Room 3." The nurse said aloud.

   Mo Yeon and Yoon Mi instantly stared at the nurse with owl eyes. "Mwo? Jigeum?" She grimaced, obviously disliking the sudden disturbance. "I'm in a middle of a surgery here."

   "I've already explained, but Professor Kim insisted. She said that she badly needed your help." The nurse spoke, her hand still holding the receiver.

   Mo Yeon could not believe what she had heard. Once again, that arrogant Kim Eun Ji had caused a ruckus during the operation, and of all the people in the hospital, she specifically called for her. This is utter nonsense, she thought. Clearly, that Professor Kim-no, Miss Kim, was totally unreliable to be a professor, much less a surgeon. Mo Yeon decided not to proceed to Professor Kim's aid. She figured that it was better for that arrogant doctor to taste her own dose of ignorance. It was her operation anyway, and Mo Yeon didn't want to be responsible if anything happened to the patient. "Put her on speaker. Tell her I'm not going. I'm busy over here."

   "Ye, Kang-sem." The nurse did as instructed.

   A rather agitated reply came seconds later via loudspeaker, and it stung the ears of the crew in the room in a rude way. "Yah, Dr Kang, I thought I clearly asked you for your help! Why aren't you coming over?! This patient is dying!"

   Mo Yeon could only sigh as the rest of the crew, except Yoon Mi, listened to the exchange. "As you can see-oh no, hear, I am currently in a surgery as well, and like your patient, mine is dying as well. So you can't expect me to go two places at one time, isn't it? What's the condition of your patient?" She asked.

   "Come over here and see it for yourself!" Professor Kim actually yelled out loud like a desperate high school girl. "If you don't, I report this as a medical litigation to the Director, you hear me?! Get your soul over hear, now! Don't you ever forget who's in charge, Dr Kang!" She demanded.

   Holy mother of souls, this lady really needed a tight slap on her face! Not only did she threatened a complain against her, she also began to pull ranks! This childish behaviour must not go on forever. She really needs to stop that stupid antics of hers and come back to reality. Clearly, Mo Yeon couldn't leave Yoon Mi and the male intern alone to operate on the patient. They were still too inexperienced and needed supervision. Interns tend to mess up during surgery, and on a disastrous day like this, Mo Yeon never wanted anything bad to happen to the patient. There were already too many people dying out there and she didn't want this patient to be one of them.

   However, if Kim Eun Ji was absolutely serious about the complain, her job-and her slim chance of promotion, will go down to the drain just like that. Her efforts will be in vein, and her chances won't come again. But wait a minute, she didn't care about the post anymore. It never mattered anymore to her, so why must she be worried? She slapped herself in the head internally for the absentmindedness for still caring about the post even though she had literally lost heart for it. Besides, what if the patient over at the other side really had a more serious complications than the one she's operating now?