Chapter Two-Part Four

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."

(H. Jackson Brown, Jr)

707th Special Mission Battalion Garrison, Seongnam

  All was quiet at the base's canteen with only a few white tables occupied by the men in green

  All was quiet at the base's canteen with only a few white tables occupied by the men in green. Even then, the tables were partially filled with only one or two soldiers sitting on each side of the table. All of them, Dae Young noticed, were commissioned officers, identifiable by the green shoulder patches on their dress uniforms. Something in his mind told him to look over to his right shoulder, in which he instinctively did, and from that small little turn he made, he realised that he was the only non-commissioned officer in the canteen. Also, he was the only one who had barely touched his food.

   Dae Young really had no idea whether to laugh, or to fume about it. It seemed that his mind decided to play sarcastic games with his soul today. Whether it was an attempt from his mind to poke on him or to devilishly wake him up to the reality of life, he wouldn't know, but he felt that the latter was the most significant.

   His mind wandered into oblivion, thinking about the past things that he had done in his life-from the tough teenage childhood he had been through in the city's dark alleys to the time where he finally found solace-and for the first time, a purpose in life, in the most unexpected places. His life changed drastically-he's no longer a thug that had once lingered on the streets with a baseball bat, whacking and making havoc and adding misery to the neighbourhood, for now he is a soldier, a man with regained honour and dignity plus an undeniable loyalty to the country. He will defend this land with his life, or die trying.

   Luckily, the defend-or-die-trying part had became a thing of the past. He had survived it, and lived to tell the tale.

   Certainly, in his lifetime as a well-trained, elite soldier of the Special Forces, he had forged great ties with his counterparts, including a few from abroad-most of them developed from joint military operations. There was one though, that was most significant, and the image of him in his battle gear, smiling and waving at him while giving him a thumbs-up after a successful joint operation, came to his mind.

   "Mwohaneungoya? Why are you all alone?" A female voice spoke, pulling him out of his thoughts abruptly. He was a little bit irritated by the sudden disturbance and he turned his head to the direction of the voice to give that soldier an earful-only to discover that the 'soldier' was none other than Myeong Joo herself.

   "Waeyo? What's with the face?" She asked, pertaining that angry frown on his face as she sat down at the opposite direction facing him. She was holding a cup of coffee. "I thought you had a meeting. Is Yoo Soryeong here? I haven't seen him all day."

   Dae Young relaxed and recomposed himself on his seat. "Meeting's cancelled at the eleventh hour, and Yoo Soryeong won't be coming in today. He called me and said that Kang-sonsaeng was sick."