Chapter 1 - Tea and Fire

"Sianna Rayoss

"Sianna Rayoss. You are late."

Leitnant Aldermeck's words rang out like a threat.

Sianna lifted her chin to acknowledge it. "Ser, I apologize. During my morning route with Tiel we were told frost belluas were sighted at the edge of the village, but it turned out they were only a small pack of snow wolves. They did attack, ser, which is what delayed me."

"Attack? That would explain your attire's poor shape."

The warm spots on Sianna's arms and chest where the wolves' blood had soaked through grew hotter as if to emphasize the Leitnant's words. A piece of the boiled leather arm guard had been bitten off and cold claws had shredded most of her padded sleeve. Leitnant Aldermeck's gloved fingers hovered over the angry scratch marks on Sianna's arm.

"Very well," Aldermeck said and motioned for her to follow.

She led Sianna across the room to the two wooden seats by the fireplace. She shuffled past the Leitnant's oversized table she claimed was made from dragon bones. If it really was, its only purpose now was to hold Aldermeck's high stacks of old parchment, rolled up maps, and dried out ink pods.

Sianna didn't sit until her Leitnant did. She awaited her orders. Or for whatever the hell it was she had been summoned. Sianna stiffened as a thought streaked through her mind.

Did the Leitnant find out about the brawl I had with Elkren? She'll have me scrubbing out chamber pots if she did.

She eyed Aldermeck, trying to decipher her hard posture. The crackling fire next to them did not help. It only seemed to intensify her stern look yet the shadows of the flames softened her as they caressed her curvy body. Even with the chainmail chest piece over her clothes—the armed circle of Dracarr displayed with chipping paint—her ample breasts and rounded hips were apparent.

When Sianna first met her, she had wondered if her body was the reason she was a Leitnant, but after hearing Aldermeck cut off the ear of a man who tried to forcefully lay with her in the barracks, Sianna quickly changed her mind. She knew how difficult it was to be a female in the Dracarr Guard. The Guard welcomed you all the same, but it offered no protection. A woman had to be vile and good on her threats if she wished to be left alone.

"Rayoss," Aldermeck said, "I received a raven from Lessithar Citadel a few days ago. It was about you."

Sianna held her breath. Oh shit.

Even so, Sianna's eyes caught Aldermeck's sharp blue ones; the Leitnant liked for those below her to match her stare.

She smiled. "Congatulations, Sianna Rayoss. You are to be promoted."

Sianna lost all her composure. "What?"

"You are to be promoted from your Centurio rank to a Leitnant."

"But, ser," Sianna said and shook her head, "I don't understand. You're the Leitnant overlooking this region."

Aldermeck stood up and went to her messy desk. Her white cloak caught Sianna's eye. It was the cloth of the Leitnant rank—only half the length of a regular cape with the Dracarr seal sewn in black at the bottom right hand corner of it. She returned to her seat with a parchment, probably the letter she spoke to have received.