Chapter 10 - Crystals Like the Glass of Sky

Dedicated to Burritoyum147 for all your votes and support. Yay!

10.

Crystals Like the Glass of Sky

Sianna watched as her grime and caked blood bloomed on the water's surface. It swirled and puddled only to float down to the bottom.

"Do you need help? Are your injuries hurting you?" the sightless sister asked.

Sianna had already forgotten her name. "No."

The sister nodded. This one had a yellow robe, blonde hair falling over the matching blindfold. "I will bring more water for you. It seems you will be needing another bath. There was too much blood on you."

Sianna froze and didn't relax until she had left the room. She leaned back on the tub, the cold metal kissing her flesh. It had been nice that the sightless sisters had prepared baths for all of them that morning, but she wished this sister wasn't as chatty. She had been the one that had entered the shrine that morning to summon them back to the chapel. She led them downstairs and that was when Sianna had seen the dozen of acolytes, six brothers and six sisters, that lived underneath the chapel's floor. Seven of them came up to Sianna and the rest and ushered each of them to a room. The one Sianna was in was small and furnished by only a bed, chamber pot, and bath tub, but she figured the others probably looked like this one too.

By the time the sister returned, Sianna had gotten as clean as she could. The sister had been right. Red crust still patterned her skin and her hair remained rough and matted with burgundy mud.  

Was it really that much blood? she thought as she looked at her hands.

"Don't worry," the nameless sister said. Apparently she had been talking about something. "I'll just wash your hair and I'll apply fresh bandages on you."

Sianna shook her head. "I can wash my own hair, sister, but I will appreciate if you call the boy to help me with the bandages. Tell him to bring his ointment." She grinned, recalling his earlier fluster at seeing her chest. "And tell him not to be so shy this time."

Through the thin blindfold, Sianna could see the woman's eyes furrow with confusion but she didn't say anything and left the room again. When she returned with Iari, Sianna was drying herself off with a cotton towel.

"S—sorry, Sianna!" he stammered and lowered his head, cheeks a bright red.

She laughed and wrapped the towel around herself. The sister came up to Sianna, another queer look on her face, and handed her new undergarments and breeches along with her own furs, leathers, and her belted sword.  

"Once you are done, follow the hallway left till the end. We shall have breakfast for you," the woman said and again she stepped out, leaving Sianna alone with Iari.

He was freshly bathed and dressed, his leather satchel slung across his chest. Without the dirt and blood smudging his face and hair, Sianna could see how handsome he was...or would be. His green eyes alone could probably enchant a maiden to his bed and while his chin and jaw were strong and angular, his cheeks appeared childish and round.

"How old are you, Iari?" she asked him.

He faced her, her odd question unsettling him. "Um. Nineteen."

She was surprised. "Nineteen? A late bloomer, aren't you?"

For the first time he smiled at her and Sianna felt if he figured out how to flaunt it perfectly, he could probably lure her to his bed one day.

"That's what I always 'ear from everybody," he said.

"Then would it be too much to ask you to apply your medicine and bandages on me again?" She grinned at him.