Chapter 19 - Ayodite's Lure

Dedicated to RubyScars. ^^ She has her own story going on called Fangs and Forgiveness that you guys may like if you're into vampires with a fantasy twist. 

Drawing: Reth doing the thing with the clothes. A little extra for taking so long to update...assuming you're a reader that...appreciates Reth in THAT way. 

19.

Ayodite's Lure

He had allowed his ser to fall into danger. Reth's failure burned in the back of his throat, but he didn't allow it to hinder him. He stared at the man before him, at the man who created him.

His clothes were modest for being the king's wizard. The long, brown robe appeared like a blanket with crude cuts for his decorated arms to go through. Though he wasn't as aged as some humans Reth had seen, Vulharis appeared tired and drained like he could collapse at any moment.

But he was powerful.

Reth could feel the magick radiate from the man's bones. Usually magick was only felt when used, but Reth could sense it coming off from the wizard in waves. Vulharis' eyes especially were an indicator of his power. Each iris was divided in half horizontally by two different colors: the top was golden and the bottom a light blue.

"Reth. I had named you Reth," Vulharis said. His short beard was a shade darker than his blackened hair and didn't sport any of the white streaks found around his ears.

The Rhokin's eyes narrowed as he felt the surprise of Vulharis knowing his name. 

The wizard sighed, the heave shaking his body as he walked past Reth and Sianna and up to the boy on the bed. "I remember all I create," he said though he kept his strange eyes on the child. 

Sianna sidestepped past Reth. Even though she knew it would anger her, he caught her arm to stop her from walking to the wizard. She turned to him, anger in her eyes and pulled her arm out of his grip. 

"What's going on? Who is that kid?" Sianna asked as she came up to Vulharis.

He shook his head. "Perhaps it'd be best if your friends joined us. It would make everything easier."

The wizard's fingers twisted through his rings like pink worms wiggling through a pile of jewels. Each touched stone gave a soft glow as if they were small coals. The light left the jewels and floated in the air. Reth felt the pull of magick as he saw the lights grow and take on the general form of a four humans.

Some shrank while others continuing growing. Faces molded onto heads, fingers grew on hands, and other details chiseled onto the bodies of light. When the glow faded, Reth saw Aldermeck, Deneck, Iari, and Kota standing before him.

They appeared as if caught mid-conversation. Aldermeck held her usual scowl Reth noticed she used when displeased with something. Kota was standing before her pointing at Iari while Deneck stood by the boy, a hand on his shoulder like he was whispering something to him.

Their demeanors simultaneously tensed as their surprised faces took in the environment around them. Iari seemed the first to recover, but it was Kota who spoke first. It sounded like a hissed whistle. Though Reth didn't understand what she had said, he recognized it as the Nayichi language.

"Sianna?" Aldermeck said.

Everyone else turned around and followed her gaze to Sianna and Reth, noticing the wizard next to them.

"What is happening here? Who are you?" Aldermeck added, locking sights with Vulharis' strange eyes.

"Deneck," Vulharis said ignoring her questions, "I made you many years back. It is good to see you still alive." He gave a small smile. "So to speak."